Author Topic: Refurbishing 1970 instrument plastic circuit board  (Read 1170 times)

Offline RocketScientist

Refurbishing 1970 instrument plastic circuit board
« on: October 27, 2020, 03:15:03 AM »
The circuit board on my instrument cluster looks intact but in places the plastic layers have come apart. Where it has come apart, the copper strips have oxidized and they look a bit green and crusty. Is there anything I can do to clean it up, or is the best thing just to leave it?

Part of me wants to make it look fresh but I am thinking that the oxidization is on the surface of the copper strips and it wouldn't affect the current passing through as long as the contact areas are clean.

Brad

Offline tobkob

Re: Refurbishing 1970 instrument plastic circuit board
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 09:56:09 AM »
Contact cleaner should take care of the oxidation but it may not be worth the effort if there are other issues... :)

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 04:23:44 PM »
The circuit board on my instrument cluster looks intact but in places the plastic layers have come apart. Where it has come apart, the copper strips have oxidized and they look a bit green and crusty. Is there anything I can do to clean it up, or is the best thing just to leave it?

Part of me wants to make it look fresh but I am thinking that the oxidization is on the surface of the copper strips and it wouldn't affect the current passing through as long as the contact areas are clean.

Brad
The surface oxidation on sections not near a plug will not affect adversely the circuit yet but may worsen and cause a problem later.  It is best to get rid of the oxidation and then seal the section off with a protective sealer. As mentioned the circuit contact cleaner would be my first go to product. Any number of products can be used to seal the surface from clear fingernail polish to the rubberized paints. I prefer the clear type products.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 06:31:48 PM »
Mr Gaines you are using clear polish now? 😉

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 06:56:04 PM »
Mr Gaines you are using clear polish now? 😉
The red was too garish looking so I moved on. ;) :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 09:49:41 PM »
 :o