Non-Mustang Ford & Mercury Models > Cougar 1967-73

Confusing leaf spring markings

(1/2) > >>

RoyceP:
These are from a June 1968 R code GT-E with C6 automatic transmission that I am restoring. Both springs are from the same car. Notice the stamping style, direction, date codes are all different from one another.

RoyceP:
Here is another example. This pair came from a 1968 W code GT-E built in March 1968. One has date code 3447 followed by a tombstone shape? The other one is 250EC7 which is formatted like the example in the library - I am suspecting these were made by Eaton?

Same issue, one set uses one style and the other uses a different style. I am guessing two different manufacturers for the same parts? Both cars were built in Dearborn.

ruppstang:
I have seen both versions but not on the same car.

I have a 68 S code GT coupe the was off the road since 1979. When I disassembled it I found it had one C7 5556 AU spring and one C7 5556 AS spring. I thought one had been changed at some point but I thought it was interesting that they both had the exact same date code.  Coincidence?

RoyceP:
It?s weird that a spring made 7 months earlier and one made on the 93rd day of 1968 would be on the same car. But it all looked equally rusted and equally worn and the car had no accident damage.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: RoyceP on March 17, 2021, 08:09:36 PM ---Same issue, one set uses one style and the other uses a different style. I am guessing two different manufacturers for the same parts? Both cars were built in Dearborn.

--- End quote ---

Agreed just different suppliers and their markings. Possibly a bin of springs on the left hand of the line and another on the right and during these production periods each being different from the other

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version