Non-Mustang Ford & Mercury Models > Cougar 1967-73

68 Dearborn Inner fender / trans tunnel sound deadener?

(1/7) > >>

RoyceP:
I am restoring a Dearborn '68 R code Cougar built June 15, 1968. We stripped the undercar areas like the floor pans and inner wheel hose and transmission tunnel completely. The car was wet media blasted and then dipped so nothing remains. I have a Lord Fusor gun, wondering which of the Lord Fusor products would be appropriate for the areas I need to apply sound deadener to? Also need to do the footwell / lower firewall areas of course.

J_Speegle:
Since the new gallery software has not been installed yet can't post any pictures at the moment. Don't have many Dearborn Cougar examples to pull info from.

Typically you don't have much seam sealer applied under the car. You would have some under the sound deadener in the rear wheel well where the inner and outer halves come together then the sound deadener over that then body color.  Rocker to floor (sometimes leading at the rear to along the front of the rear spring torque box to floor seam would have been applied after paint as was the inner seat belt mounts

In  the front wheel well I see a bit in between the torque box, to front frame to inner fender panel to firewall section in each wheel well in the couple of pictures. That example only shows the remains traveling up from about the top 4 inches of the torque to frame seam then swinging over to the top edge of the torque box to firewall seam for a couple of inches. Some of the rest may have fallen/dropped off

If I expand to the Mustang brothers of the same plant and time I find the same 4 or so inches at the top frame to torque box seam then bending over and traveling outward along the torque box to firewall seam to the outer end/splash shield general attachment location

Some of the other seams are covered along with other surfaces with the sound deadener application later in the paint and coating processes

Hope this help.

Will try to remember to post some pictures once we get everything back up and running

RoyceP:
Crap sorry I titled it seam sealer when in fact my question was about sound deadener.

J_Speegle:
LOL normally its me not slowing down and fully reading the request/post.

In any case here is a 68 Dearborn Cougar example showing that IMHO Cougars did not receive any more sound deadener in the front wheel wells than Mustangs. I attempted to trace as best I could what appears to be the original coverage and pattern of spray application. If you want more and will accept Mustang examples I can post additional pictures of course

All this is helping us test out the new software

Passenger side rear

Slightly below the above area

Battery tray/box area - PS front

Not much for the drivers side (didn't take these) The drivers side front appears to have been in an accident (maybe why there is more than one picture) and it appears all the sound deadener got knocked off the inner panel from the attempts fo body work but  the picture does show some sound deadener on the back side of the headlight buck surrounds in the front fenders

Hope this helps

RoyceP:
Very good Jeff. I find a wide variation in the sound deadener applied to the floor pan of Cougars. Sometimes they are just plastered, other times not at all. The San Jose ones that I have seen appear to be just exactly like Mustangs - deadener in the driveshaft tunnel but only a bit on the floor pans. It's the Dearborn ones that are all over the map.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version