Author Topic: Two Interior Questions  (Read 2644 times)

Offline 69BOSS302

Two Interior Questions
« on: June 27, 2021, 09:55:11 PM »
I have a May 23rd built 69 BOSS 302 and here are the details:

Interior is a standard, but with a console and Black Clarion knit vinyl Hi-Back Bucket seats (4A)

1) Is the steering wheel the standard two spoke with horn ring? Does the rim blow come up as an option or is it standard with deluxe interior or...?
2) What is the proper shifter knob? The standard black one or the wood grained with the plastic insert at the top with the white with blue stripes

Thank you
Philip
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 06:30:39 PM by J_Speegle »
69 BOSS 302
9F02G198123
May 23, 1969 - Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Two Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 11:30:27 PM »
In addition to the short discussion over on the Boss 302 site I thought I would also follow up here with a response and pictures.

The rim blow was included in a number of 69 Mustang interior packages and available as a stand alone option though rarely ordered. Was sort of a fancy new design. The cars order form and Marti report would list it if so ordered and installed

As for the shifting know style the standard all black with white print shifter knob was standard with the 63A (in this thread for a fastback or Boss) interior while the fake woodgrain and racing stripped know was standard on deluxe models since a the deluxe interior or the Mach Q package - For this thread 63B

Of course over the years and with a fair amount of NOS ones on the market plenty of car owners added the fancier and racier deluxe knob to the car leading to plenty of confusion. The addition IMHO of a standard console to a standard interior would not change the style of shift knob installed on a Mustang or Boss 302

And of course something that made finding original examples is the very typical swap to a Hurst shifter that so many Boss owners choose to do  ::)

Example of a worn standard shift knob that was first introduced in 1967

Picture below do show some prior owner changes since the cars are unrestored. Top left the owner added the woodgrain dash pieces but the rest of the interio is standard as is the door tag code. The four speed bench seat combination is an odd one but I've seen more than a dozen over the years.

And a "standard" interior with console Boss 302 example

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)