Author Topic: restoring heater plenum  (Read 2060 times)

Offline sparky65

restoring heater plenum
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:26:24 PM »
Has anyone repaired a cardboard heater plenum?  Mine is mostly intact except for the bracket that holds the adjuster cable.  Looks like it might be possible to repair with some epoxy or something but it would be obvious repair and not sure how well it would hold.  I would assume this would be better then using  a plastic repro.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: restoring heater plenum
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 10:28:51 AM »
This type of question has been addressed many times.....not sure on how to suggest an invisable repair.........(at least full console or a/c cars hide them-lol) you know SOMEONE-(a company) made the cheap cardboard ones for Ford in the 60s....why the heck can't todays technology be used to reproduce them in cardboard now?? it seems so easy, but may be I'm missing something...

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:41:41 PM »
...why the heck can't todays technology be used to reproduce them in cardboard now?? it seems so easy, but may be I'm missing something...

I actually think that is the whole problem...it is old technology.  I am told that it is difficult to find a company to press a paper product like this, since everyone uses plastic today.

Offline ajd350

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:41:01 PM »
Mine was pretty beat up. It was twisted and the passenger side outlet was torn up and missing material. I figured I had nothing to lose and rebuilt it using paper gasket material that is available from any auto parts store. Elmer's carpenter's wood glue did a good job holding it together, and you can smooth it with your finger when wet and sand it when it dries. The gasket material can also be used on the inside of a weak spot for reinforcement. after it was done I shot it from a distance so the finish would be dry and slightly textured. I used a spray paint made for touching up anodized aluminum gutters, After the paint was dry I lightly scuffed the whole thing with scotchbrite to best resemble the cardboard surface. If you climb under the dash with a flashlight, you might be able to see it if you know to look. With a plastic one, you can tell at a glance.
MCA #2254

Offline sparky65

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 09:39:15 PM »
Interesting method.  May try to touch up some areas that way.  Unfortunately I already epoxied the bracket back on.  Not sure how well it will hold so may do what you say behind it to support it.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe