Author Topic: Oval Floor Pan Cover Plates  (Read 727 times)

Offline kkupec02

Oval Floor Pan Cover Plates
« on: November 13, 2021, 03:16:04 PM »
I apologize if I missed it in the past posts. I used the search query as well as looked in the unrestored picture area but the carpets were mostly in place. I also looked in the undercarriage finishes and sealer in the library. I am sure someone knows off the top of their head. What color are the four metal oval floor pan plates? Are they body color, black or plain metal? I would at least want to clear coat them if they are "bare" metal. Are they red oxide primer on the underside and body color in the interior if they were installed before paint? Thanks.
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Oval Floor Pan Cover Plates
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 03:17:50 PM »
those have a galvanized finish.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 03:31:25 PM »
They were not installed until well after the car painting steps were completed

Remember to installed a bead of black chalking on the edge of the opening before you reinstall the plates. if good to see some of this squeeze out from the bottom ones everything is tight

And remember they are installed with the "bump" up rather than down and in the floor pan opening

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 01:24:38 PM »
Along the same lines, I have seen/read people putting the "felt" side up and some the "felt" side down on the underlay. I just bought kits from NPD and if I am to go on how they are cut, the "rubber" side goes down. Yet when I took my original underlay off, it was "felt" side down and glued. I had to scrape the felt off of the floor pans. Is it "felt" down or up? Thanks.
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 02:14:33 PM »
Along the same lines, I have seen/read people putting the "felt" side up and some the "felt" side down on the underlay. I just bought kits from NPD and if I am to go on how they are cut, the "rubber" side goes down. Yet when I took my original underlay off, it was "felt" side down and glued. I had to scrape the felt off of the floor pans. Is it "felt" down or up? Thanks.

IF the underlayment only has the tar and compressed layer on one side (different suppliers made it differently) Then for a 67 San Jose car would sometimes have compressed layer on both side but if I was choosing with a one paper side I would put that facing upward based on the thousand or more I've found. The large thick layer can be found to be jute or a dark (as you call it felt) product. The "tar ;ayer, can heat up and or the oils can flow from that layer to the thicker layer over the years compressing and compacting it.

Here is a couple of pictures to illustrate what originals look like and are laid on the floor section

« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 02:25:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 03:04:27 PM »
The NPD kits then are glued to the wrong side if the tar/rubber side is up and the jute side is down. I will have to un-glue the jute and rubber layers and re-glue them so that the holes are right and the jute is facing down.
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 03:47:47 PM »
The NPD kits then are glued to the wrong side if the tar/rubber side is up and the jute side is down. I will have to un-glue the jute and rubber layers and re-glue them so that the holes are right and the jute is facing down.

Or if you want to correct them you could choose to add another layer of the tar/comprssed layer over the exposed jute surface like some versions.

That is how I made the last ones I did and shown in that article in the Library. Of course not everyone cares about this unseen area, as long as when ever you use is still thick enough to make things fit right, but some do
Jeff Speegle

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 09:26:59 PM »
Everything that I touch I am putting back to factory correct
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 09:29:30 PM »
Thanks for all of the info
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline bwrrn0

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 11:49:59 AM »
Sorry but I may sound stupid but does anyone know why these were put in the first place?
Is/was there a specific reason for them?

Thanks for any information.
Rick

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 11:51:47 AM »
believe they were used during the stamping process.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 03:55:42 PM »
Sorry but I may sound stupid but does anyone know why these were put in the first place?
Is/was there a specific reason for them?

Believe it was a design standard that was included on all Ford products. This would channel  the paint and the holes would allow the paint to drain out of the interior on those cars models where the bodies were fully dipped as part of the unibody process. The ribs int he panel served dual purposes both to strengthen and to channel the paint to the drains/holes. Of course Mustangs, Falcons, Fairlanes and other models were not dipped but the designed was still Incorporated in the design

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2021, 04:08:40 PM »
Of course Mustangs, Falcons, Fairlanes and other models were not dipped but the designed was still Incorporated in the design
I read an article in one of the Mustang magazines ("Mustang Monthly" or "Mustangs and Fords") that those models were not "dipped" as paint remained in the frame rails.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2021, 05:09:00 PM »
I read an article in one of the Mustang magazines ("Mustang Monthly" or "Mustangs and Fords") that those models were not "dipped" as paint remained in the frame rails.
Jim

Don't know that the belief or thought was correct since the rocker panels would hold some paint in them on the car models they did dip just as much as the front and rear frame rails of the other cars.  Guess there is a piece of paper somewhere where why is discussed but never heard or seen it :)
Jeff Speegle