Author Topic: Installing snaps for vert need advice  (Read 8157 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Installing snaps for vert need advice
« on: March 01, 2011, 12:16:20 AM »
I have my rear interior 1/4 trims done for the vert except I need to install the metal snap receivers for the boot. Have a bunch of the snaps but only need 2 per side. Originals had the sort of rivet side nicely folded over. How do you replicate this? NPD has a tool but 100 to install 4 rivets? Must be another way.

Offline ruppstang

Re: Installing snaps for vert need advice
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 12:41:38 AM »
It has been a while since I did the quarter covers for our 67 GTA convertible as I remember the re-pop snaps were differant. I think I use a tap and cut threads on the in side of the original snap and used a short screw to reattach it to the quarter from the inside. Marty

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 08:53:28 AM »
Thought of the same but without the tapping. I know NPD sells a tool but to dish out 100+ shipping  to do 4 snaps sounds crazy. I'd rent one though if someone had it.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 08:56:19 AM »
The problem is when the old snaps are removed.  Drilling out usually spins the snap stud in the hole and makes the hole bigger.  There are a couple ways to do it... use a small washer and a small trim screw.  Put the snap side on a piece of wood and tap the screw into the snap stud.

Originally, they would have been installed with a rivet squeezer with a special tip to get the rolled edge.  NPD sells a tool that does the same thing on the 65/66 vent frame gaskets.  Otherwise, you can buy the $200 aviation grade hand rivet squeezer, which would do the job.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:55:20 AM »
You can go to any cloth/sewing/hobby store (I got mine at Hobby Lobby) and get the correct little tool that folds the snap over.  It looks like this

You'll find it in the sewing section, with the snaps and buttons.  I used this to fold the tube end of the snap.  I used a small socket that just fit inside the snap to support it while I tapped and rolled the tube end of the snap.  It worked well for the 6 snaps that I had to do.  I also used a small rivet washer on each snap for support (as CT suggested). 

Offline KDunne

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 10:19:04 AM »
You can go to any cloth/sewing/hobby store (I got mine at Hobby Lobby) and get the correct little tool that folds the snap over.  It looks like this

You'll find it in the sewing section, with the snaps and buttons.  I used this to fold the tube end of the snap.  I used a small socket that just fit inside the snap to support it while I tapped and rolled the tube end of the snap.  It worked well for the 6 snaps that I had to do.  I also used a small rivet washer on each snap for support (as CT suggested).

Thats exactly what I had done on my convertible.....worked great, also use the washer as stated

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 01:04:40 PM »
You sewing/home-ec. cissies!  LOL!  I thought I was the only guy who went to a fabric & sewing store with greasy hands.

The Aviation Brake rivet tool is about $13 + S&H.

66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 01:05:54 PM »
++++1111 on the backup washer because of enlarged holes.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 04:23:14 PM »
Thank you all for the great suggestions. We have those hobby lobbys around but not too close by. Michaels art and craft less than 10 minutes awAy so will try them first. Ok who said visiting the craft store is for sissies? Bought the sheer black ribbon just yesterday that worked perfectly to replace the black cheese cloth material covering the opening in the door grille at the speaker. If they didn't have it Victoria Secret was next for some fishnet stockings. I figured I could get one of the sales girls to try them on to make sure the look was what I was looking for. Of course it would have to be tried on with the correct accessories.

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 04:27:34 PM »
68 S ...

I was REEEEAAAALLLLY scared when I started reading "just yesterday I bought the sheer black.........."

So glad the next word was ribbon.   LOL  JK
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 04:52:16 PM »
If they didn't have it Victoria Secret was next for some fishnet stockings. I figured I could get one of the sales girls to try them on to make sure the look was what I was looking for.
I keep trying that.   And I keep getting slapped.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 06:26:18 PM »
They work on commission so just pick out the most expensive stuff. Tell them it's for your girlfriend because your wife refuses to wear it. After she's done modeling tell her that it looks so good on her that you'll buy it for her but only if she'll go lout to diner with you. If she agrees well good for you and if not then you don't have to buy it.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 08:38:53 PM »
Home Depot has a grommet kit with the setting driver for $5. Little man-lier than sewing shop
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 09:55:37 AM »
Michaels had one similar to the pic provided but without the plastic donut so I tried a fabric store. They had multiple kits withies of accessories so I picked one up. Then ran to Depot for rivet washers. Could have saved a trip by going to Depot first. I look at the small pin driver and can't see how this is going to work. Before buying it I tried a center punch which seemed like it would have worked but just didn't fold over the edges nicely. I'll give it a try with the kit. I may be back for more instruction. Thanks for now.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 02:56:16 PM »
Well i wouldn't have thought this little tool was going to work but it did.  By the time you put the stud through the fiberglass shell and upholstery not much left to peen down. By the way I didn't need the washers. Came out great. Actually the biggest pain were the staples for the window felts at the metal shell. One side worked like a charm while the other had all sorts of issues. All done now so moving onto the next project....Steering wheel detailing. Look for a thread on reinstalling an NOS horn ring.