Author Topic: Spark plug wires  (Read 793 times)

Offline 9F94M567042

Spark plug wires
« on: August 08, 2022, 07:21:40 PM »
Can someone please verify a date code of 4D4 in regards to spark plug wires ?
Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Spark plug wires
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 10:43:34 PM »
What kind of wires is this marking on and what is the application?  Format does not appear to be the 67-72 period
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 9F94M567042

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 11:06:17 PM »
I  believe them to be April 1974

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 12:05:33 AM »
Without any context they might be 84 for all we know. Date pattern is different from the AUTOLITE wires  Again do you know the application or other markings on the wiring?
Jeff Speegle

Offline 9F94M567042

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 02:56:26 AM »
Jeff and others who might be viewing,
Here is a couple of pictures from the eBay posting. I purchased these because I checked the part numbers on the box against the '65 to '72 MPC. They matched up to my specific application. 1969 Cougar 351W. Now that I have them in hand, I am questioning myself as to if they are correct. With the date code of 4D4, and assuming this is for 1974, why do they show up in the MPC before they were even made??
I try and avoid making mistakes, especially using eBay.
Thanks for any assistance

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 04:12:03 AM »
Jeff and others who might be viewing,
Here is a couple of pictures from the eBay posting. I purchased these because I checked the part numbers on the box against the '65 to '72 MPC. They matched up to my specific application. 1969 Cougar 351W. Now that I have them in hand, I am questioning myself as to if they are correct. With the date code of 4D4, and assuming this is for 1974, why do they show up in the MPC before they were even made??
I try and avoid making mistakes, especially using eBay.
Thanks for any assistance

Nope they would not match the original that came on w 69 351W. Motorcraft & SIPCON markings are the big giveaways. Should be AUTOLITE and Radio Resistance

Remember that service parts were made often for decades aver the cars were no longer built and Ford needed replacement parts to see so they contracted with companies to make parts that work work but rarely ones that looked like the originals in all cases. Owners just wanted something that would work  Often these later MPC would show part numbers (a D1 part number would not have been original for your car) of sometimes the original part number other times they showed a newer one that would work. Made it easier for them not to have to carry, pay for and store many different items when other newer parts would work. This has all been mentioned in other threads and offered as a warning to double check with MPCs printed as close as possible to when you car was completed

Here is a particle scan of the spark plug wire listing from a Dec 69 MPC. And the service replacement for your car at that time

« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 04:26:24 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 9F94M567042

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 02:18:47 PM »
Jeff, thanks for the information. I know they probably will work for what I need, but maybe I'll try and return them.