Author Topic: Cleaning a driveshaft  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Flade

Cleaning a driveshaft
« on: September 05, 2022, 07:02:28 PM »
Any suggestions on the best way to clean a driveshaft without destroying the original markings?
68 Convertible, 289 C4, SJ May 68 build date

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleaning a driveshaft
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 07:06:02 PM »
yep. evaporust in a 6" pvc tube capped at both ends. check the library section for more info.
5F09C331248

Offline Flade

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 09:02:51 PM »
Thanks, I saw a video of someone doing it in a piece of gutter.  I have a bucket of Evaporust, so I give it a try

Offline dkknab

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 09:32:39 PM »
I used 4 inch piece capped on just one end. I also documented the marking locations before the treatment and went by my build sheet to id the color of the stripes using the location of the stripes from earlier pictures.
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 09:48:11 PM »
Thanks, I saw a video of someone doing it in a piece of gutter.  I have a bucket of Evaporust, so I give it a try
The problem with doing it in a piece of gutter is that you don't get it completely submerged like you do in a pvc  pipe capped . The half submerged part in the gutter can leave a distinct wetness line were it was cleaned that sometimes does not come out when you do the other side . It can be difficult to get it out so that you can not tell.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline preaction

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 11:12:49 PM »
Drive shafts float.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Flade

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 11:54:18 PM »
Who knew they would float!  Makes sense when you think about it.  I am going with the PCV pipe.

Unfortunately I don’t have a build sheet and I can?t see the original paint marks so I am hoping the evaporust will do the job.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 12:02:47 AM by Flade »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 11:47:38 AM »
Let it soak for about 12 hours with fresh evaporust.  Pull it out slowly as the paint markings will have softened.  If you're trying to preserve the original markings and not just see them as a reference, then be careful rinsing with water as they might come off.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Flade

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 01:02:29 AM »
Thanks Charles,

I built the PVC pipe and started soaking the drive shaft tonight.  I lightly brushed the heavy rust off first. I?ll check it in the morning.  I can see at least one stripe under the rust already, but want to document the color and location correctly.

Offline Flade

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 10:29:21 AM »
The driveshaft is soaking and looks much better already, but I need to find some more Evaporust to finish it.  There is one stripe clearly showing.  Any guesses as to what the stripe color will be.  It?s a Late 68, 289 Automatic. 8? rear.

I dropped the yoke in fresh Evaporust and it came out perfect!   You can clearly see the original orange paint.

The paint is a dull flat orange.  The pics I have seen on here is a bright orange.  Has the original paint faded, did the Evaporust change the color, or do I need to match the color I found?  (In the pic it looks much brighter than in person)

« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 10:34:26 AM by carlite65 »

Offline dkknab

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 02:27:39 PM »
I can share my car info.  I have an April 68 Metuchen plant build with a 289 and automatic.  The colors are dark green,  lavender,  and white.  I also have a red stripe near the rear end 3rd member.  Here's my build sheet for info.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2022, 03:00:10 PM »
The driveshaft is soaking and looks much better already, but I need to find some more Evaporust to finish it.  There is one stripe clearly showing.  Any guesses as to what the stripe color will be.  It?s a Late 68, 289 Automatic. 8? rear.

No guessing needed ;) We can help at least with the identification stripes and yoke colors.

Resources on site include (in the search feature just used "68 driveline stripes"

- Late 68 San Jose C Code Coupe - Unrestored Picture Thread in the Unrestored picture section of the site. Picture U-27 on second page nice shot of the three colors and their general location. Barely shows the orange trans yoke at U-6. Remember painted before machining

- https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11581.0 couple of discussions merged

- Buildsheets describe the colors as DGRNLAVWHT - Dark Green- Lavender- White

I dropped the yoke in fresh Evaporust and it came out perfect!   You can clearly see the original orange paint.

The paint is a dull flat orange.  The pics I have seen on here is a bright orange.  Has the original paint faded, did the Evaporust change the color, or do I need to match the color I found?  (In the pic it looks much brighter than in person)

Yes the original color has likely been altered by time and exposure. Here is an example of a cleaned original we have posted by a member in another thread.

It may be currently flatter (not glossy) due to the chemicals, exposure, age and so on compared to the original finish and yes of course colors look different after being taken with a camera and then posted and viewed on a monitor
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Flade

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2022, 04:03:07 PM »
Thank You Jeff, 

This is all really helpful.  So far on the driveshaft all I see is the white (or perhaps Lavender) stripe. It was visible after lightly brushing the driveshaft and is clearly visible as the rust breaks down.   Hopefully the others will be visible after the Evaporust soaking is complete

Offline Flade

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2022, 04:04:26 PM »
I can share my car info.  I have an April 68 Metuchen plant build with a 289 and automatic.  The colors are dark green,  lavender,  and white.  I also have a red stripe near the rear end 3rd member.  Here's my build sheet for info.

Thanks David, that is what I am hoping to find as well.  So far only 1 stripe is showing up.  It is 21 1/2 inches from one end of the yoke.

Offline dkknab

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2022, 06:58:06 PM »
So here's what I ended up doing with my driveshaft.  Hope this helps.  I just was at the Ponies on the Plaza Grand National and haven't heard from the judges about my driveshaft work.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior