Author Topic: Starter mask detail at attaching hole  (Read 1014 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Starter mask detail at attaching hole
« on: December 18, 2022, 12:15:23 AM »
Have seen a few original starters with a mask/cover over one of the attaching bolt holes.  An example attached of a Fall '64 engine.  Anyone seen similar?

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Dan Case

Re: Starter mask detail at attaching hole
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 10:51:54 AM »
The barely used XF prefix road racing starter from 1964 (available from Ford for endurance racing for 260/289/302 engines for circa 1963-1971) I have was masked in that location prior to painting. (Shelby American used them in their race cars from 1963 and other race teams used them particularly in road race Mustangs.)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 10:56:06 AM by Dan Case »
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 07:49:35 PM »
Have seen a few original starters with a mask/cover over one of the attaching bolt holes.  An example attached of a Fall '64 engine.  Anyone seen similar?

Yes in some factory pictures there are starters with a sharp or taped masked ground end of the starter. Similar but not exactly the same as your picture

One example (looks like a similar or same pattern) is visible in the engine drop picture in the 68 San Jose pictures in the Assembly Line section of the site - San Jose - 68 San Jose - Engine Installation - 10307-12 First in Series

May be the supplier/factory since I've got pictures of service replacements with a taped ear or two while others like some found on original cars without the tape and just a misting of paint overall

C6 marked service example with the taped ear

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 12:44:54 AM »
You've probably seen this early 65 GT350 PR photo...

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 01:35:36 AM »
Other odd things in that photo too like engine block plate lack of paint and hardware holding the plate to the bell.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 01:51:14 AM »

Yep, thanks for posting.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 01:49:45 PM »
The rhetorical question is why. It's for proper grounding.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline preaction

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2022, 05:16:53 PM »
Typically wouldn't more of the end of the starter housing be exposed bare metal where the painting process was purposely reduced without the use of a mask ? I cant seem to find the picture I had but it seemed about 1" of bare housing around the circumference of the housing for FE starters for example.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2022, 06:51:48 PM »
Typically wouldn't more of the end of the starter housing be exposed bare metal where the painting process was purposely reduced without the use of a mask ? I cant seem to find the picture I had but it seemed about 1" of bare housing around the circumference of the housing for FE starters for example.
Typically yes more metal is exposed . So that there is no misunderstanding the fade more typically starts at 1" but that doesn't mean it is all unpainted metal within that range. There is overspray within the 1 " space. The fade would progress to no overspray on the metal at the forward edge for the best ground. There was a basic way that it was typically done but within that basic way there was a range it could have been. Technically it is hard to find two that had the exact same spray pattern if you were looking at them with a forensic eye. Technically the masking off of all except the one bolt mounting is all that is needed. That minimal exposed metal is just not representative of the overall typical practice used on 65-70 starters IMO based on the hundreds of non rebuilt starters that I have seen over the years. That's not to say it was never done as the picture proves. Maybe a very early practice that changed . Because it is typically seen expect push back unless you can give provenance for the specific car you are working on.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 07:24:18 PM »

Or often a light mist of black extending out to the mounting surface. They did want to try and make sure the iron was painted to guard against rusting. Remember that a percentage of the grounding contact comes from the mounting bolts while other comes from the contact of the starter to the plate. Likely a smaller percentage but Ford could use all the help they could get.

Only had small block examples converted and already uploaded but here are three examples of that. Each has been posted before

Cleaning and age has removed some of the finer spray on the one 1969 example where the paint is thinner at the lower edge and towards the bottom  of the starter opening

And one on the assembly line 1968 example. On this one there appears to have been a loose fitting mask where on others there is no evidence of the same. Kind of like the masked and unmasked starter mounting ear discussion here

« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 07:28:01 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)