Author Topic: 1968 8-inch rear axle anomalies  (Read 791 times)

Offline ruppstang

1968 8-inch rear axle anomalies
« on: January 02, 2023, 06:06:01 PM »
I started this project to build a 1967 8-inch rear axle for a six cylinder to eight conversion. I had most of the parts in my inventory, but they were not all from the same car. Yesterday I started to put the axles in the housing and discovered they lacked about 1/8 of an inch of going in all the way. when I pulled them out, I found that the axle bearing retainer was tight against the seal. I have built a number of these and never had a problem. I decided to bring another of our cars to the shop and pull the axel to check it. I was surprised to find that the oil seal sets almost a 1/2 inch deeper in the housing. I am not sure how to fix this, whether to try to cut down the seal thickness or have the axle bearing retainer cut thinner. Oh, one more anomaly I forgot to mention the RH and LH oil seal seats are different dimeters. One is 2 1/4 inches and the other is 2 5/15 inches.
The seals I used were National oil seal #9161 and 9569S, the Ford number for that one is C7W- 1177-1. Both of these seals are 7/16 inches thick. I will have to check if there are any thinner seals in these dimeters available. I will post pictures of both housing and axels from both cars. BTW I tried the axle with the original bearing, and it did not work either. I cannot understand Ford making something like this.

Offline ruppstang

Re: 1968 8-inch rear axle anomalies
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 09:27:50 AM »
Well with almost 100 views and no replies, no one here has seen anything like this either.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 03:40:45 PM »
Sorry, I missed this one.

I used National Seals and parts store wheel bearings on my build and when I torqued in the axles, they quit turning. I discovered a similar finding but I think all I ended up doing was driving the seals in deeper.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 08:12:47 PM »
Sorry, I missed this one.

I used National Seals and parts store wheel bearings on my build and when I torqued in the axles, they quit turning. I discovered a similar finding but I think all I ended up doing was driving the seals in deeper.

The problem was there was not enough depth for the seal. I ended cutting the body of the seal down to make room. I wish I had taken it apart to see what was done originally.