Author Topic: 1964.5 Dearborn Undercarriage  (Read 1586 times)

Offline KDunne

1964.5 Dearborn Undercarriage
« on: March 01, 2023, 05:00:51 PM »
I searched all of the threads in this section but didn't find an answer for an early car. 

On 64.5 April 14th on the door data plate, what would be the correct the color of the undercarriage.  Would it be black or Red oxide?

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 1964.5 Dearborn Undercarriage
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 05:20:31 PM »
a search here for 'undercarriage color' should reveal the answer.
5F09C331248

Offline KDunne

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 05:57:25 PM »
a search here for 'undercarriage color' should reveal the answer.

Yes as I mentioned I searched but didn't find an answer for an early (April) 64 car, hence my post. 

Saw the pace car, but unsure if they were treated differently vs a regular production car.

The pace car that Charles posted seems to have slop gray on the undercarriage.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 06:05:05 PM »
no difference in pace car vs. regular mustang on underbody colors. underbody colors varied in shade depending on what was dumped in the barrels prior to painting. your car if not already stripped bare would be the best example for colors.
5F09C331248

Offline KDunne

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 06:16:10 PM »
no difference in pace car vs. regular mustang on underbody colors. underbody colors varied in shade depending on what was dumped in the barrels prior to painting. your car if not already stripped bare would be the best example for colors.

Got it......Thank you for the quick response.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 08:27:07 PM »
Yes as I mentioned I searched but didn't find an answer for an early (April) 64 car, hence my post. 

Saw the pace car, but unsure if they were treated differently vs a regular production car.................

As mentioned in this area the car was just another Mustang. Color could vary some based on what colors were used mostly the day before and the ones they choose to recycle. Often found are tones of blue to greens and rarely with visible metallic. Most difficult to find original colors in pictures since so many suffered from surface or heavier rusting as well as so many being given a heavy undercoating from the first owners
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Mojie21

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 09:15:23 PM »
I have an April 13th car and I ended up finding several places of black underneath. It did not appear to have any color tint to it. I will dig up some pics if you like.
Mike
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 09:32:40 PM by Mojie21 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 10:19:04 PM »
I have an April 13th car and I ended up finding several places of black underneath. It did not appear to have any color tint to it. I will dig up some pics if you like.
Mike

Thanks for sharing. Looks like the closest to the OPs possible build date example we have so far.  Too bad we will never know how close these two, or any two early cars were built from one another. Have seen a few other cars with what appeared to be a blackish finish on the floors and forward this plant and production year. Likely IMHO it may be a very very dark grey from the mix on some days.  Doesn't look like you had much left so hard to compare the floor color with the firewall forward color I would guess.

Thanks again for the pictures
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mojie21

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 12:29:00 AM »
Here is a couple more.  One from the wheel well and the other is the firewall side of the floorboard being repaired.  In person, the blacks (or dark, dark grey) looked very similar to me from the small sample sizes.  The red oxide color was a light primer applied after blasting to store the car, so ignore that color..  The black was exposed taking off the underlayment and sound deadner.

Mike

Offline KDunne

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 08:02:57 AM »
Here is a couple more.  One from the wheel well and the other is the firewall side of the floorboard being repaired.  In person, the blacks (or dark, dark grey) looked very similar to me from the small sample sizes.  The red oxide color was a light primer applied after blasting to store the car, so ignore that color..  The black was exposed taking off the underlayment and sound deadner.

Mike

Mike super helpful.  Thank you for taking time to post pictures and respond....and thank you to eveyone else for their perspectives.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 05:14:59 PM »

Mike what was the original exterior color of the car?
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mojie21

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2023, 11:19:04 PM »
Jeff,
Rangoon Red with red interior.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 10:09:42 PM »
Thanks
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mustang64

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2023, 05:24:53 AM »
Hi everyone,
Mine is from April, 09th and the undercarriage is black.
Have a good day,

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2023, 12:34:48 AM »
In adding these to observations I noticed that I have two examples with projected build dates of April 17th and 20th with red oxide noted as the floor primer sealer color. Thought this would be the place to list them also
Jeff Speegle