Author Topic: Dual exhaust non-GT  (Read 1497 times)

Offline andric2

• 701-702-2123
Dual exhaust non-GT
« on: March 03, 2023, 04:03:55 PM »
I'm trying to determine if my car came with dual exhaust. It is a 1965 nonGT A code 4 speed convertible. The build date is 03H which I believe was August 1964. The sequence number is 250628 which, I believe was the 628th car built after the change over from 64.5. I?ve included some pictures of the under seat area and looking down from the trunk floor underneath the spare tire. One shows the reinforcement plates and I believe the other shows the crush tubes. Please forgive the reproduction brackets in the reinforcement plate. I misplaced my originals and installed the reproduction temporarily.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 06:46:02 PM by andric2 »
1965 Shelby GT350#256
1965 HiPo GT fastback
1965 Convertible
1967 Convertible
2014 Shelby GT350#256

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Dual exhaust non-GT
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 04:39:26 PM »
your car should have had single exhaust when assembled. i know oof no exceptions.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 06:03:42 PM »
andric2 Welcome to the site. Hope you find the support and information provided here helpful in your restoration pursuits

Thanks for the sequential and projected (guess you took that from the door tag) date. Can we ask where it was built?

In the future it will be handy for you to just add the cars info to your signatures so you don't have to type it when you ask other questions pr provide it as a reference in the future.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 06:27:35 PM »
Thanks for the sequential and projected (guess you took that from the door tag) date. Can we ask where it was built?
Based on the sequence number (250628) and scheduled assembly date code (03H, a Monday, August 3, 1964), the car was built in Dearborn (ref "Mustang Production Guide, Vol 1", pg 93). You could say it was a "day one 1965 Mustang". There are "mitigating" conditions involved (production was behind schedule).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline andric2

• 701-702-2123
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 07:03:02 PM »
I added a picture of the data plate. Pictures seem to be very large when highlighted. Don?t know how to reduce the size.
I discovered that if you move your finger around on the picture, the entire picture will show up. In doing my research my car came with 289 4V, 4speed, Vintage Burgandy and white standard interior. It was built at Dearborn probably on the first day of production for 1965.
If you can tell by the pictures it does have the reinforcement plates under the rear seat and the crush tubes in frame rails. This has to be evidence it came with dual exhaust even though it is not a GT. I?ve owned the car for over 40 years and bought it as a basket case. Stuck it away and started restoration about 5 years ago. Finished it about 3 years ago.
1965 Shelby GT350#256
1965 HiPo GT fastback
1965 Convertible
1967 Convertible
2014 Shelby GT350#256

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2023, 09:21:01 PM »
I added a picture of the data plate. Pictures seem to be very large when highlighted. Don?t know how to reduce the size.
I discovered that if you move your finger around on the picture, the entire picture will show up. In doing my research my car came with 289 4V, 4speed, Vintage Burgandy and white standard interior. It was built at Dearborn probably on the first day of production for 1965.

Thanks

If you can tell by the pictures it does have the reinforcement plates under the rear seat and the crush tubes in frame rails.
This has to be evidence it came with dual exhaust even though it is not a GT....................................

Of course they were not building GT for many months and that style of exhaust was yet to be installed on Mustangs. Do you happen to have a picture of the rear frame rail from the bottom side around the area of where the rear tie down was located? Just want to see what original holes might be there from the bottom. Also looking at the picture you have from the trunk angle not certain that what I'm seeing is the crush bracket for the exhaust hanger but maybe for the rear shackle. Just chasing down the possibilities given when the car was suppose to be built

And just ahead of that area on the inside surface of the frame rail does there happen to be two holes?  Maybe 10 inches or so forward of the picture above.

Jeff Speegle

Offline andric2

• 701-702-2123
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 10:00:07 PM »
Upon further inspection what I thought was the crush tube was the tube that the tie down bracket bolts passed through. But, why the reinforced plate under the back seat? I know it is factory.
1965 Shelby GT350#256
1965 HiPo GT fastback
1965 Convertible
1967 Convertible
2014 Shelby GT350#256

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 10:21:39 PM »
Upon further inspection what I thought was the crush tube was the tube that the tie down bracket bolts passed through. But, why the reinforced plate under the back seat? I know it is factory.

At this point wanted to point out that there were three different dual exhaust systems used on 65 Mustangs. Guess I need to add that to the 65 Running Change threads Added to all plants

As for A codes with dual exhaust in 65 I guess you missed this thread or you would have likely posted there. I may merge this thread and that one - we'll see how the discussion progresses :)

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7903.15

With all that said we have the possibility of it (the floor reinforcements) being a mistaken installation but since we now have when and about when the car was built I'm going to look through my collection to see if we have others around the same time period and plant. Same worker, might have done the same thing on other cars

« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 10:28:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 10:38:35 PM »
What does the snubber plate look like?  Rounded or squared?

In regards to rear frame rails... even K codes built during that time with dual exhaust didn't have the reinforcements.  It was a detail added later in production about when the GT was introduced.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline andric2

• 701-702-2123
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2023, 01:26:16 AM »
Charles, Not sure about your question. My car has 8 inch rear that does not have a rubber on bracket. Also, there is no rubber on snubber plate on floor. Just two rubber snubbers on the frame rails above axles.
1965 Shelby GT350#256
1965 HiPo GT fastback
1965 Convertible
1967 Convertible
2014 Shelby GT350#256

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2023, 01:54:45 AM »
Charles, Not sure about your question. My car has 8 inch rear that does not have a rubber on bracket. Also, there is no rubber on snubber plate on floor. Just two rubber snubbers on the frame rails above axles.

The part welded to the floor.

Are you sure the car has not had sheet metal repair?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline andric2

• 701-702-2123
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2023, 12:04:29 PM »
Charles,     In the restoration process we did discover some sheet metal repair. This happened before I purchased the car. It appeared to be to the right rear quarter. However, it didn?t appear any sheet metal had been replaced. Attached is a couple of pictures of  the undercarriage after pressure washing and during the time I was scraping off undercoating prior to sandblasting.
1965 Shelby GT350#256
1965 HiPo GT fastback
1965 Convertible
1967 Convertible
2014 Shelby GT350#256

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2023, 02:41:51 PM »
Can't tell from the posted pictures but do your rear frame rails have threaded plants (inside the frame and on the surface) in these locations?

Appears that you have at least the holes on the drivers side in reply #9. The plate should be visible since there is nothing currently in the holes and if the frame was clean you could look for spot welds that would have held the plate in place if its there. Hard to see but the hole size does appear to indicate there is a plate inside from what I can make out.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 02:45:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline andric2

• 701-702-2123
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2023, 03:44:52 PM »
Jeff,     There is two holes on the drivers side. No plate. I?ve attached a clip for the fuel line in one of the holes. Picture attached. There are no holes on passenger side but after looking at the frame rail it appears to be replaced. As I said before there was damage to the right rear quarter.
1965 Shelby GT350#256
1965 HiPo GT fastback
1965 Convertible
1967 Convertible
2014 Shelby GT350#256

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2023, 04:07:56 PM »
Thanks for the close up. IMHO the currently unused hole appears to have some additional plate behind the frame rail and we can see it has been used to mount, most likely, a transverse muffler at some point in the past. There is allot of metal in your picture that shows a thread pattern like those produced by a self tapping screw as used for that purpose at the plants. We also see the deformity (inward)  in the metal around currently unused hole showing the focus used to start the screw that was once present. Also (red arrow) that could be a spot weld past the second hole that your using for something else not originally there. Does appear that the drivers side frame rail is original given the stamping date of what looks to be May

I have also included two examples from cars that were not equipped with a transverse muffler system showing the thin single layer we see on those cars for comparison

Next place to check is the inner surface of the drivers side frame rail in front of the area where the tie down brackets would have been attached. Out to where it bends upward following the front of the trunk floor. Your looking for two holes close to one another, how they are orientated, if they have been used and any other details
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 04:33:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle