Author Topic: Dual exhaust non-GT  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
Re: Dual exhaust non-GT
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2023, 05:59:08 PM »
I notice that the mounting plate for the axle snubber (above the differential) only has one hole in the middle instead of two holes spaced about 3? apart like you would see on cars with an 8? rear and didn?t have the diff mounted snubber the HiPo cars had.

If the single hole bracket was exclusively for K cars, it makes me think that it was supposed to be one at the beginning of sheet metal assembly or a worker didn?t know better and installed that along with reinforcement plates by mistake.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2023, 07:57:45 PM »
andric2 - So as we chase down evidence so far we have, if I've understood facts so far we have

Rear under seat dual exhaust supports
K code early style snubber bracket
History/evidence of panel replacement at least on the passenger side.
Use mounting holes on at least the drivers side read frame rail.

Can add other items as they are uncovered.

So a few more without trying to lead for specific outcomes

Where was the rear brake line mount located on the drivers side rear floor depression under the rear seat? Your earlier snubber picture shows the area but we have a shadow in one area and in another a may be left of a bracket (could be brake line or for a muffler) outward from there

Picture showing snubber and one of the support panels under the rear seat.

The seat area appears to be undisturbed at least the seams that are visible. Might want to try and collect at least the main floor stamping date. Believe since this is a convertible the rear floor section would likely be difficult to see but maybe from the bottom of the car if the area was cleaned. Just possibilities for more data

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2023, 08:50:59 PM »
.............If the single hole bracket was exclusively for K cars, it makes me think that it was supposed to be one at the beginning of sheet metal assembly or a worker didn?t know better and installed that along with reinforcement plates by mistake.

There is the way outside IMHO chance that the order got modified during the bucking process. Have seen where this was likely the answer on at least one car but as mentioned - WAY outside possibility. Of course the evidence will help determine how it was built and how it was equipped. Two possibly different things.
More likely one station or worker didn't do what they were instructed to do as mentioned.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline andric2

• 701-702-2123
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2023, 08:58:31 PM »
Jeff,     There are two hole in front of tie down bracket in vertical position. Picture attached. The bracket you referred to was originally damaged. The tab was broken off. We welded anew bracket in the same location as the old one. Picture attached. Not sure where to look for floor pan date code. Looked in general area and couldn?t see anything. Rocker panel had what I believe was date codes. Couldn?t read them though. Picture also attached.
1965 Shelby GT350#256
1965 HiPo GT fastback
1965 Convertible
1967 Convertible
2014 Shelby GT350#256

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2023, 09:01:03 PM »
The reinforcement plates under the rear seat were originally spot welded in place.  Those spot welds are normally seen on the bottom of the car, around the perimeter of the plate.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline andric2

• 701-702-2123
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2023, 09:26:16 PM »
Charles,      I took a couple of pictures in the area you mentioned. There appears to be spot welds.
1965 Shelby GT350#256
1965 HiPo GT fastback
1965 Convertible
1967 Convertible
2014 Shelby GT350#256

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2023, 09:58:52 PM »
2 possibilities:

-Assembly line error
-Repair made to the car with an original rear section from a factory dual exhaust car

Going to have to be some more sleuthing here to dig to the bottom of this.  As mentioned, probably going to take a full account of any visible sheet metal date stampings.

It wouldn't be the first assembly line mistake.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline andric2

• 701-702-2123
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2023, 09:13:26 PM »
Charles,  In regards to your possibility that the rear section had been replaced, I am attaching a photo of the entire floor pan before restoration. To me it looks as it came from the factory, just a little dirty. Also, I thought I would send picture of completed car. Since I assumed it came with dual exhaust, I restored it as a GT and HiPo clone. I would never claim that the car was an actual GT.
1965 Shelby GT350#256
1965 HiPo GT fastback
1965 Convertible
1967 Convertible
2014 Shelby GT350#256

Offline kb65

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2023, 11:35:46 PM »
date stamp on the floor pan should be right in front of the passenger side floor reinforcement seen from inside the car
about a 1/4" from the back edge of the main floor pan.
that is where mine is feb 65 NJ
ken