Author Topic: Red label on 66 hi-po 9" rear housing?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline 21.04

Red label on 66 hi-po 9" rear housing?
« on: March 08, 2023, 06:47:35 PM »
I found a red label attached to the top side of the 9" rear housing (driver side) of my '66 July 1, SJ build HP GT convert.  It was covered in grease, but I was able to remove and clean it without damage.  It's 1 3/4" wide and appears to read 6986A and does not coincide with the part number.  Can anyone identify this label?  I've also attached the label on my NOS 9" housing with part number for easy reference.
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Red label on 66 hi-po 9" rear housing?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 07:29:54 PM »
I found a red label attached to the top side of the 9" rear housing (driver side) of my '66 July 1, SJ build HP GT convert.  It was covered in grease, but I was able to remove and clean it without damage.  It's 1 3/4" wide and appears to read 6986A and does not coincide with the part number.  Can anyone identify this label?  I've also attached the label on my NOS 9" housing with part number for easy reference.
I have not seen one of those red labels before.  I am not saying it is incorrect just that I hadn't seen one for 66 before. I have seen a white label wrapped around the housing tube by or under the U bolts on 67 and up. Those numbers and lettered stickers where identification for the axle housing assembly including the center section and typically reflected info seen on the metal axle tag. The white and blue sticker is cool but would not be seen on a assemblyline part. Those type stickers are typically seen on service parts and would be some kind of points deduction in concours.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 08:27:48 PM »

Not sure what the lower identification label would be doing on a factory installed plus it is really in incredible condition if on a rearend that was installed on a driven car. Any story to go along with it?

The paper wrap label has been discussed before and very rarely did it last more than a few years any any readable form if the car was used. It was a quick identifier installed on the completed rear end assemble at the Sterling plant before it was shopped to the car plant.  Not sure what the color of the paper (many colors have been seen used) meant. Might have been a shift a line or an worker but have seen red used on 8" reaends also from the 65-66 period along, as mentioned, other colors of paper

Nice find but the condition of both make me wonder about the story and the car attached to them in a good way :)

You can see a picture of what is left of a paper label on another 66 San Jose car in the Unrestored Picture thread area under 66 GT350H - Image 18

And a related general thread on the subject found using the words "rearend paper label"

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=22109.0
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 21.04

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 04:03:39 AM »
Thank you both.  Just to clarify, that white label Id included in my original post is from a separate service replacement housing I have that is not installed on the car.  I just included the photo as a quick reference to the part number.  The red tag is from the original 9" assembly line unit.  It was covered in grease.  About 1/2" of one end was loose enough that I was able to lift it and it came off pretty cleanly.  It does have a nice plastic coating on both sides so I was able to apply dish soap and warm water to remove the grime.  It took me about an hour and a half to get it to the condition it's in now.  The car has been in the Bay Area its entire life until I acquired it in August.  Car has never been driven in wet weather and fairly well preserved.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 04:11:00 AM »
Thank you both.  Just to clarify, that white label Id included in my original post is from a separate service replacement housing I have that is not installed on the car.  I just included the photo as a quick reference to the part number.  The red tag is from the original 9" assembly line unit.  It was covered in grease.  About 1/2" of one end was loose enough that I was able to lift it and it came off pretty cleanly.  It does have a nice plastic coating on both sides so I was able to apply dish soap and warm water to remove the grime.  It took me about an hour and a half to get it to the condition it's in now.  The car has been in the Bay Area its entire life until I acquired it in August.  Car has never been driven in wet weather and fairly well preserved.

Thanks for the clarification kind of was confusing.

Too bad I didn't get a chance to see the car before it was sold and relocated. Sounds like a neat car.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 11:36:23 AM »
I have seen green and red axle labels and have photos of both....but from later years.  Here is another red label from the unrestored 68 San Jose coupe I have here at my shop.  Will be getting better photos over the next month and updating including the axle details.

https://anghelrestorations.com/11000-mile-1968-mustang/

2023-03-09_8-31-58 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline 21.04

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 08:56:41 PM »
Wow, that's a sweet tag!  Pretty much in the same location I found mine.  Label facing upward and affixed towards the top of the axle housing.  I wasn't aware the tag I was removing was of any significance or I would have taken photos of it before I removed it.  Neat to see others.

Jeff, I plan to have the restoration on my '66 hi-po started sometime this year as a t-bred.  I plan to bring it out to be judged when it's done.  So you will likely have a chance to see it in a few years when it's completed or if you happen to be at Perkins shop, he'll have it there doing drive train, body and paint.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 10:32:37 PM »
Jeff, do you recall if the tube sticker paper on the 66 H unrestored thread #18 was white or red? I always assumed
in that picture it was white like the 67-70 Shelby's we have seen.  Now I am not completely sure so hopefully you can give some kind of confirmation.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023, 12:28:08 AM »
Jeff, do you recall if the tube sticker paper on the 66 H unrestored thread #18 was white or red? I always assumed
in that picture it was white like the 67-70 Shelby's we have seen.  Now I am not completely sure so hopefully you can give some kind of confirmation.

Don't think I recall the color nor is the picture clear or the paper clean enough to tell. AS mentioned have a 65 8 " in red but also have a 65 8" in white. Do have a 65 9" but its hard to determine, somewhat rusty car that looks to have been well used, though it looked white (lacking red color) when I took the pictures

Looking through the years/examples I see examples of red, green and white paper being used with no real pattern at this time, on everything from 6 cylinders to big blocks

Jeff Speegle