Author Topic: 1965 Dearborn C code 3 Speed Feb 65 - Driveshaft Paint Marks  (Read 744 times)

Offline Carters

1965 Dearborn C code 3 Speed Feb 65 - Driveshaft Paint Marks
« on: March 12, 2023, 08:47:08 PM »
I?ve been cleaning up the driveshaft on my 1965 convertible.  I thought I?d share some of the information I found.  Granted, it?s not too much, but every little bit helps, right? 

Here is the information on the car:
1965 Convertible
Dearborn
26 Feb. 1965 build date
289 C code
3 speed manual transmission
Non factory PS or A/C

About 7.5 inches from the rear of the driveshaft there is a white stripe.  It?s about 3/4 inch wide.  There is also green paint marks on the rear yoke of the driveshaft.

I also notice what might possibly be another stripe about 1.25 inches from the rear end of the driveshaft.  All I can make out is a consistent discoloration around the driveshaft.  It?s also about 3/4 inch wide.  I saw what I thought might be light blue (maybe lilac) speckles where it looks like there could be a stripe.  Not a lot to go on.

On the differential yoke there is a yellow paint daub.

I hope this information and photos are useful.  Also, if someone knows about the possibility of a second stripe.  I had been told that the stripes on the driveshaft for my car should be pink and green.  The one stripe looks white, but I guess it could be pink.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 08:10:18 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1965 Dearborn C code 3 Speed Feb 65 - Driveshaft Paint Marks
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 07:11:28 PM »
Thanks for sharing and thanks for including all of the needed info about your car this was found on.
Closest I have is a November 64 C code 3speed example that was shared here earlier

Mess application of the ID stripes so drips, runs and paint smeared around in other areas but shows a white strip and a lighter blue stripe Hope this helps

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 08:10:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 07:16:10 PM »
This is interesting. I just received a driveshaft from Jack for my first week of June, 1964, K-Code Dearborn car, here is what he did:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 08:10:40 PM by J_Speegle »
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 08:09:37 PM »
This is interesting. I just received a driveshaft from Jack for my first week of June, 1964, K-Code Dearborn car, here is what he did:

Different application and time period = different markings ;)  Will change the thread title to better identify the specific topic being discussed
Jeff Speegle

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 10:53:55 AM »
Good, yes I guess they changed things around often. But I am curious if they had different driveshafts for different V8s. That would seem to be pretty complicated and expensive.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 11:10:03 AM »
Yes, they had different driveshafts

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 02:27:23 PM »
Good, yes I guess they changed things around often. But I am curious if they had different driveshafts for different V8s. That would seem to be pretty complicated and expensive.

As Pete wrote yes they are different. Remember in this comparison one had a 8" and the other a 9" rearend. For the workers not really not much more complicated that other things like all the different shocks, coil and leaf springs and so on that made up the cars. Having multiple car models and all of the options and body styles added to allot of variables
Jeff Speegle

Offline Carters

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 01:44:58 AM »
Thanks for sharing and thanks for including all of the needed info about your car this was found on.
Closest I have is a November 64 C code 3speed example that was shared here earlier

Mess application of the ID stripes so drips, runs and paint smeared around in other areas but shows a white strip and a lighter blue stripe Hope this helps

Thanks for posting.  That?s very helpful.  I actually have my driveshaft out of the car and am about ready to paint it.