Author Topic: 67 thermactor hose Wittek clamp details 289  (Read 959 times)

Offline 67gta289

67 thermactor hose Wittek clamp details 289
« on: April 10, 2023, 08:07:08 PM »
For the 289 thermactor clamps, I ended up with a bag of NOS ones when I bought out Ron Charney's left-overs.  The bands are zinc-dichromate, but the screws and nuts are zinc or plain.  It's challenging to see this sort of detail on pictures in the unrestored reference area.  I'm asking if I should put these on as-is or get the screws and nuts re-plated.  Thanks.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 thermactor hose Wittek clamp details 289
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 11:33:41 PM »
For the 289 thermactor clamps, I ended up with a bag of NOS ones when I bought out Ron Charney's left-overs.  The bands are zinc-dichromate, but the screws and nuts are zinc or plain.  It's challenging to see this sort of detail on pictures in the unrestored reference area.  I'm asking if I should put these on as-is or get the screws and nuts re-plated.  Thanks.
Curious when you ended up with the clamps given Ron RIP has been gone for sometime now.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 12:10:41 AM »
I would have them replated. just have to disassemble them. Have done a hundred of more over the years.   Unfortunately like all zinc based plating they can oxidize so I've gone to oiling and seal them in a bag before I store them for that reason. Hate having to replate plated hardware a second time
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 09:02:11 PM »
By the way....I think the plating on the band, screw and nut should all be the same.  I have not seen where there is two different platings for something like this. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 09:34:42 PM »
You have the large filter canister clamp to hold it to the pump bracket also to plate if you have not already. Didn't collect as many of those over the years as the hose clamps

Agree with Marcus that even though the dichromate on the nut and bolt does not hold up well I've found evidence of dichromate on the protected threads of each over the years. Exposed the dichromate is the first thing to disappear from age and exposure

For the record and for those reading this thread in the future you'll need eight of the small hose clamps for the complete system. Sure others will count them also and confirm or correct :)  If the typical thermactor pump was originally used.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 09:38:01 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 06:30:54 AM »
You have the large filter canister clamp to hold it to the pump bracket also to plate if you have not already. Didn't collect as many of those over the years as the hose clamps ...

I purchased a bag of many (like about 50 of them) of the wire spring type filter canister clamps with the dichromate finish. These are a perfect match to the originals in size, shape and finish. If anyone is short on these, PM me needs a few for their project. I'm not greedy, just cover shipping (48-states ONLY please).
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 08:53:44 PM »
You have the large filter canister clamp to hold it to the pump bracket also to plate if you have not already. Didn't collect as many of those over the years as the hose clamps

Agree with Marcus that even though the dichromate on the nut and bolt does not hold up well I've found evidence of dichromate on the protected threads of each over the years. Exposed the dichromate is the first thing to disappear from age and exposure

For the record and for those reading this thread in the future you'll need eight of the small hose clamps for the complete system. Sure others will count them also and confirm or correct :)  If the typical thermactor pump was originally used.

Thanks Jeff - yes the large canister clamp is accounted for and at the plater already.  Regarding the small clamps that I picked up from the Mr. Obsolete Part man a long time ago have nice gold bands but zero evidence of gold on the screws and nuts.   Picture attached.  But if this is incorrect, I think I'll just get the screws and nuts replated, unless you think I need to run the clamps through again
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 10:23:00 PM »
Thanks Jeff - yes the large canister clamp is accounted for and at the plater already.  Regarding the small clamps that I picked up from the Mr. Obsolete Part man a long time ago have nice gold bands but zero evidence of gold on the screws and nuts.   Picture attached.  But if this is incorrect, I think I'll just get the screws and nuts replated, unless you think I need to run the clamps through again

I think you could likely just do the bolts and nuts. Given the condition of the surface they are going to turn out slightly different in look and will be brighter since they will be fresher but at some point will dull somewhat over time. To bad you can't really clean them well and just dye them as the second process like replaters will do after replating the zinc but the dye is really nasty stuff.
Jeff Speegle