Author Topic: Coupe - Interior quarter panel cover details  (Read 669 times)

Offline CKF1962

Coupe - Interior quarter panel cover details
« on: April 14, 2023, 06:37:16 PM »
I need guidance on what the detail should be where the panel meets the headliner and package tray. The 'brace' obviously pressed on the c pillar structure to keep it from collapsing from the back seat and passenger. I do not know if it penetrated the headliner material or what. I would like to understand how this went together at the points in the pix shown.

I didn't get any pictures during disassembly as the headliner was a mess and the package tray basically falling apart. The build drawings do not even show this (just deluxe interior treatment).

Does anyone have any pictures or can offer insight into how to install the cover without upsetting the headliner install?

Kevin
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:00:36 PM by J_Speegle »
65 Coupe 5F07C355368
67 2+2 7F02T127000

Offline jwc66k

Re: Coupe - Interior quarter panel cover details
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 07:41:29 PM »
I'm looking at the 65 Mustang Body and Interior Assembly Manuals for reference and they show everything, you do have to flip back and fourth for the "everything". I will admit my 66 Hardtop (the installation are the same) was in good shape and I didn't have your falling apart problem. My Hardtop is also not as factory (the package tray is padded with 1/2 inch foam, covered with Naugahyde and there are a pair of 6 X 9 coax speakers installed) so any pictures are not going to be "valid".
Do you have the 65 Mustang Body and Interior Assembly Manuals?
Jim
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:00:50 PM by J_Speegle »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 06:38:25 PM »
Not sure why a spacer was needed in that location but its very easy to see that it and the rivets are not factory. Since that lip rests on the metal structure of the package tray I would just return it to factory. Sort of the focus here :)

There should be no pressure at the outside (towards the C pillar and head liner) area from the passenger with the quarter panel installed and screwed/bolted down in place. There would not be,  originally, a screw holding down the package tray cover as shown in your picture. Now if the quarter trim with the spacer installed was not attached to the package try then yes its likely it would move outward from a passenger pressing against it.

Bottom line IMHO remove the spacer and resecure everything like factory did

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CKF1962

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 11:11:42 PM »
Great, informative picture. It confirms what I saw at disassembly and what makes sense. I had no screws in my car's tray, although you can tell the quarter cover was installed with screws in place, as it is wallowed out a bit. The original 'spacer' or standoff was masonite; I duplicated in lexan cause the originals were broken. I can see why they are there, to keep the cover panel from compressing in. The spacers bear upon the subframe of the c pillar.

The spacers have to penetrate the headliner, or either the headliner is worked around them. I just need to understand how to do that without mucking up the headliner install. I don't know if the 1/4 panel covers were installed before or after the headliner, I ordered an interior assembly manual - maybe it will explain. The Graham assembly manual, which I have, doesn't address the detail;actually only addresses deluxe interior fitment. At any rate, the headliner is in and the covers are not...

I like the idea of abandoning the standoff and just locking down the top of the panel with the screw. I am going to pursue that idea. Very very good thank you.!

K

ps looked again at the picture, that is some awesome work. I hope I can do half as good
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 11:15:48 PM by CKF1962 »
65 Coupe 5F07C355368
67 2+2 7F02T127000

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 11:17:24 PM »
ps looked again at the picture, that is some awesome work. I hope I can do half as good

That is just factory work. Picture is from a car featured in the Unrestored picture section of the site. 

Glad we could help
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)