Author Topic: License plate screws and plastic inserts  (Read 789 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
License plate screws and plastic inserts
« on: November 11, 2019, 12:03:53 AM »
A guy on your favorite auction site is listing:
1967 1968 1969 NOS Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 GT500 San Jose License Plate Screws
complete with plastic insert. He wants a lot for these things.

I won't list his pic, but what do original SJ assembly line screws and inserts look like?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: License plate screws and plastic inserts
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 12:40:17 AM »
The inserts and hardware as I understand was ordered through Ford by each dealership and a sub contractor responsible in that region would send the number ordered to the ordering dealership. If the dealership needed more they ordered them again possibly hundreds at a time or if they were not used up the dealership would continue to use what they had in stock until they were used up. So this process would make the style or type a detail not related to assembly plant but to the region of the country where the car was ordered

Hope this makes sense the way I tried to explain it.

Like much of the paperwork, warranty, ownership and safety manuals they were typically placed in the glove box

Will look to see what I have pictures of we, in the past, have found differences between what was supplied ( for example) in the north east and what was sent to California for example.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:47:01 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 12:58:46 AM »
A guy on your favorite auction site is listing:
1967 1968 1969 NOS Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 GT500 San Jose License Plate Screws
complete with plastic insert. He wants a lot for these things.

I won't list his pic, but what do original SJ assembly line screws and inserts look like?
I just looked at the listing and that is a typical nylon insert style which is different then most after market versions . Those are findable. The flange head screw you can find also . For example the 68/70 version flange head screw with a different makers mark are very reasonable now through NPD and others. However the ones with the RBW makers mark are like hens teeth to find. Other then the makers mark they are the same as the 68-70 version
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 03:12:22 AM »
The inserts and hardware as I understand was ordered through Ford by each dealership and a sub contractor responsible in that region would send the number ordered to the ordering dealership. If the dealership needed more they ordered them again possibly hundreds at a time or if they were not used up the dealership would continue to use what they had in stock until they were used up. So this process would make the style or type a detail related to assembly plant but region of the country where the car was ordered

Hope this makes sense the way I tried to explain it.

Like much of the paperwork, warranty, ownership and safety manuals they were typically placed in the glove box

Will look to see what I have pictures of we, in the past, have found differences between what was supplied ( for example) in the north east and what was sent to California for example.

Jeff : In the last sentence of the first paragraph, I believe that you forgot to add the word ""not" between the words "type" and "a detail...", correct ? Just in case someone reading it misses the point.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline tobkob

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 09:56:13 AM »
I can't speak for pre 1970 but when I worked at a L/M dealership from early 1970 thru late 1972 the license plate screws and inserts came in the glove box from the factory so it must have changed sometime between '68 and '70...

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline specialed

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 12:56:25 PM »
The license plate screws on ebay  are mine (my wifes son nate takes care of  our ebay sales ) since I don't have the time. Those nos screws came out of the ford plant YEARS ago and were part of a lunch pail parts deal that I bought from a final line inspectors estate after he died back in early 90s and he worked at Dearborn assembly plant in 60s and 70s.  I had sold off many off these back in the 90s but kept this one set of rwb marked bolts for a 67 Shelby resto that will never get done and been selling of the 67 parts over the years. I have seen the rwb bolts on SJ cars and the triangle stamped bolts on 68-70 Dearborn cars of which I had made since I couldn't find them any more and needed them on the restorations we were doing. I have found original bolts still in the bag before on low mile cars and with the glovebox papers. These bagged up bolts came from the factory in the glove box NOT the selling ford dealer (and depending on the vendor) who supplied them which marking were on the bolt head and in the 70s the hardware marking changed  again as I see MCI marked bolts in 71  In the mid 60s era I see the single slotted screw head then the hex head67 or so. The ebay rwb set is my only one I got and I thought some SJ Shelby guy may want it doing a concours restoration as I don't have any west coast cars here now. Finding a nos set still in the original bag is a VERY RARE find .

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 05:03:29 PM »
Didn't know Ed's name on Ebay.

I looked at what came off of my car and found the correct plastic nut will have to look through a ton of stuff to see if I can find the RWB lag-style bolts.

Since this car originally came from a state that only used one plate in 67 (and today) perhaps I only need to have the rear inserts installed. As stated in another post I was planning on having a reproduction plate made identical to the one it came with from Noller Ford.

That leaves the front of the Shelby and its plate holder looking a bit barren.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 05:47:48 PM »
Jeff : In the last sentence of the first paragraph, I believe that you forgot to add the word ""not" between the words "type" and "a detail...", correct ? Just in case someone reading it misses the point.

Thanks added a few words to make the message hopefully clearer
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)