Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

1967 Dark Saddle Dash Pad

(1/2) > >>

mtinkham:
I am wondering what to do about a dark saddle dash pad for my signature car. That color does not seem to be available as a reproduction any longer and I suspect it would be difficult to find an original. There is a dark red available and wondering if that is the best choice of base color to start with for dyeing purposes? Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: mtinkham on November 27, 2023, 01:54:18 PM ---I am wondering what to do about a dark saddle dash pad for my signature car. That color does not seem to be available as a reproduction any longer and I suspect it would be difficult to find an original. There is a dark red available and wondering if that is the best choice of base color to start with for dyeing purposes? Any advice would be appreciated.

--- End quote ---
Sorry there is no easy button on this one that I am aware of . You may be forced to dye one that is a different color like many have done in the past. . Given the dash pad is not exposed to abrasion the faux color should stand up well.

J_Speegle:
Also many are not happy with the reproductions as far as looks but it depends on how far your aiming for for your overall goal. When recoloring remember to clean the surface over and over and consider a adhesive promoter 

As Bob mentioned - at least its not a wear item or one that will be flex every time you sit in or drive the car

mtinkham:
Thank you both for this information.

mtinkham:
Over the weekend I picked up an original dash pad in Dark Saddle. This dash pad was removed from a car back in the late 70's early 80's because the owner wanted a black interior. The dash pad is soft and crack free. The only defect it has is one of the threaded studs is missing.

What should I do to preserve the soft vinyl?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version