Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Shaker Hood Scoop restoration ?

(1/2) > >>

rcgt350:
Before I remove the paint from my Shaker Hood Scoop, I?m looking for suggestions on stripping the paint. Is there a media I can use that won?t take away from the smooth aluminum finish? I have bead blast cabinets only for doing this.

Thanks

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: rcgt350 on December 30, 2023, 01:41:32 PM ---Before I remove the paint from my Shaker Hood Scoop, I?m looking for suggestions on stripping the paint. Is there a media I can use that won?t take away from the smooth aluminum finish? I have bead blast cabinets only for doing this.

Thanks

--- End quote ---
How about chemical stripping?

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 30, 2023, 11:40:58 PM --- How about chemical stripping?

--- End quote ---
Try:
"Krud-Kutter", available at Home Depot;
"Goof-Off", available at Home Depot;
"Jasco", available at Home Depot;
There are other paint removers out there. As always, read the WARNINGS, and heed them. Try what ever you select on a small section.
I used a combination of those on a aluminum Shelby air cleaner top. I also lowered the air pressure on my bead blaster to 75-80 pounds and used glass beads, 40-80 grit - "gently". I have another happy Shelby owner.
Jim

K-HESS:
I have used walnut shells with great results. Much slower then other abrasives but leaves a nice smooth finish.

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: K-HESS on December 31, 2023, 05:27:28 PM ---I have used walnut shells with great results. Much slower then other abrasives but leaves a nice smooth finish.

--- End quote ---
The only problem I have with walnut shells is dumping my glass beads from my blaster cabinet, then dumping the shells when I'm done. It gets "messy". That's why I drop the pressure and use the glass.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version