Author Topic: Convertible rear window seam repair 1968 GT500  (Read 345 times)

Offline v8muscle

Convertible rear window seam repair 1968 GT500
« on: January 07, 2024, 06:59:15 PM »
I just acquired a 68 GT500 convertible. It received a replacement top (brand unknown) with a plastic rear window w/plastic zipper in approximately 2000. The car also came with the original rear glass w/metal zipper. The glass is excellent but the center bond is broken, and the vinyl edges are also torn.
I'd like to have a glass window. Is there a way to repair the bond between the 2 pieces of glass, repair the vinyl sides, and get matching zippers, or does someone make a replacement rear glass with a plastic zipper?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 12:26:53 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: convertible rear window 1968 GT500
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 07:33:49 PM »
I just acquired a 68 GT500 convertible. It received a replacement top (brand unknown) with a plastic rear window w/plastic zipper in approximately 2000. The car also came with the original rear glass w/metal zipper. The glass is excellent but the center bond is broken, and the vinyl edges are also torn.
I'd like to have a glass window. Is there a way to repair the bond between the 2 pieces of glass, repair the vinyl sides, and get matching zippers, or does someone make a replacement rear glass with a plastic zipper?
Depending on how nice your car is the typical best answer is a new top with glass rear window and brass zipper. Of course for a nice driver that might seem too extreme. If the original glass has a CORNING trademark then it is original and may be worth saving otherwise it is junk. It will be expensive enough to buy a appropriate aftermarket back glass and have it installed besides the logistics. It will be a very expensive preposition to fix the silicone hinge and repair the vinyl edges to restore a good condition original. You will probably spend 6-800.00 besides the logistics of getting it to the right people. A new back glass and new vinyl put into your existing top will certainly not match exactly varying in range from a little to a lot . It wouldn't follow spending the money and not have things match unless you put on a new top at the same time.  Replacement back glass has been marked with the PPG trademark since 1971. You of course given the expense and associated logistics you could decide that the plastic window will do for now.  With this info in which ever combination hopefully will help you make a informed decision which makes the best sense for you and your situation.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Convertible rear window seam repair 1968 GT500
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 12:30:08 AM »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dave6768

Re: Convertible rear window seam repair 1968 GT500
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 06:44:17 PM »
I replaced my rear window.  It had plastic but wanted to go back to its original glass with the seam.  However, the new glass zipper did not match.  So, I removed the zippers from both windows and sewed the zipper from the existing plastic window onto the glass window.  Problem solved.