Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

Fastback Interior Fiberglass Quarter Repair

(1/2) > >>

66TotalPerf:
Hey all, on my '66 Mustang Fastback, I removed a rollbar and am now repairing the interior fiberglass quarter panels. I've completed all the fiberglass patching, but I'm now having difficulties replicating the texture of the existing panel.

The repair shown was done by spreading 2-part epoxy over top of the fiberglass patch, then when it was almost dry, rolling a piece of vinyl fabric over top, to transfer the pattern into the epoxy. Before I painted it black, it looked like it might not be noticeable, but now that I've shot one coat of black over the epoxy, you can see how glaringly ugly it is.

I'm open to any suggestions to repair these panels as best as possible. Not looking for perfect, but don't want to buy reproduction nor do I want to trash these panels, as I've spent way too many hours repairing all the fiberglass cracks/holes.

Thanks!
Brent

jwc66k:
Try sanding the repair surface. Start with 120 grit "lightly" applied and work up to 240.
Jim

66TotalPerf:
For this repair, I fiberglassed the hole from the backside, sanded the front smooth, cleaned with acetone, then applied the epoxy and stamped with the textured vinyl. For the next attempt, I'll definitely sand off the epoxy and will probably sand down the panel even further so that replicated texture appear flush, since it's very apparent now that the epoxy is raised higher than the rest of the panel.

What I'm asking is if anyone has successfully replicated the texture in these fiberglass panels and how best to do it. I've also considered just buying "Hammered" texturized spray paint and testing if this closely resembles the texture of the panel, but I'm hoping to make the texture repair permanent with bondo/epoxy.

Thanks!
Brent

J_Speegle:
In my use of hammer tone spray paints they added nothing to the texture There are textured spray paints but know of none that would add the "camera"/correct finish that was used originally on this parts. Either producing to fine of a texture or something not consistent with the original

I've seen bondo used as a thin layer with a silicone sample overlay taken from another prefect of panel then tracing, scratching, connecting the line from the unrepaired area to the patched area. Take some dedication and time 

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on February 16, 2024, 10:19:04 PM ---In my use of hammer tone spray paints they added nothing to the texture There are textured spray paints but know of none that would add the "camera"/correct finish that was used originally on this parts. Either producing to fine of a texture or something not consistent with the original

I've seen bondo used as a thin layer with a silicone sample overlay taken from another prefect of panel then tracing, scratching, connecting the line from the unrepaired area to the patched area. Take some dedication and time

--- End quote ---
+1 . Hammertone paint lays out flat and does not add a texture to the surface. I am not aware of any painted product that can come close to duplicating the textured look like made into the panels. Wrinkle texture paint produces a raised texture and spatter paint texture leaves a pebble look finish. The method Jeff describes is the method that others who are able to effectively repair those panels to the point of perfection for others for a fee use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version