Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

Fastback Interior Fiberglass Quarter Repair

<< < (2/3) > >>

66TotalPerf:
Thanks!

For the bondo, any idea if I should use traditional body filler, glazing putty, or jelly?

For the silicone stamp, could I just use silicon caulking to build up a template?
I also found these, but of course they're out of stock: https://vinylpro.com/products/automotive-brand-grain-sets

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 66TotalPerf on February 17, 2024, 12:24:43 PM ---Thanks!

For the bondo, any idea if I should use traditional body filler, glazing putty, or jelly?

For the silicone stamp, could I just use silicon caulking to build up a template?
I also found these, but of course they're out of stock: https://vinylpro.com/products/automotive-brand-grain-sets

--- End quote ---
I would not use silicone caulk. I would suggest to do some research on You tube etc. on how to make a proper mold for your grain impression. It would be helpful to report back on what you find out so others wanting to do the same thing can benefit.

Bob Gaines:
Here is one example of a DIY video that can be applied to doing the grain repair.         There are many others. 

jwc66k:
Brent,
On more time - try sanding the surface. You created a high ridge texture repair. Make it the same low ridge texture as  the original. Then use some two part epoxy to fill in the transition edges. I've used a damp sponge on epoxy for texture. And sand again.
Jim

HDAshmore:
Team,

I am literally tring to do the same with my broken console.  I just ordered a silicon molding kit from Amazon last week so I can make repair molds for where my console had chunks missing.

Going to use a good console as a mold.  My only question is what kind of plastic I need to use as repair material?  I think the silicone Mold will get me a perfect grain and missing area replication, I just don't know what to use for a good and strong material to patch with.

I realize the console is plastic and the panels mentioned above are fiberglass.  I think a silicone mold may help you and then fiberglass resin maybe with mold release?

Just a though.

Dan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version