Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

How to refinish dog dish BOSS hubcaps?

(1/3) > >>

DougDyar:
I'm trying to assemble a set of matching stainless dog dish hubcaps by buying individual hubcaps. My problem is that the brushed finishes vary considerably, from almost smooth chrome to a very rough, brushed finish.

Has anyone perfected a process to apply the brushed finish to these, so I can make them all match?

I'm thinking some sort of lazy susan type spinner and very fine sandpaper?

What are your solutions? I can't be the first to attempt this...

OldGuy:
You can turn your car into a make-shift lathe by jacking up the rear and placing the axle housing on jack stands. Mount a wheel on one of the axles, snap a hub cap on the wheel, start the car, select low gear (or reverse), and shazam, you've got a lathe. What you use for an abrasive media is up to you.

If you do this, make sure that you take all safety precautions so that your car won't come off of the stands while it is in gear. IF you use a wheel that has a tire on it, BEWARE of the valve stem. It can snag a finger or hand very easily. A bare wheel would be my choice if you have one.

Frank

DougDyar:
Great idea for the "lazy susan".

What to use for abrasive?

Anghelrestorations:
The original 1970 Boss hubcaps look like the picture I am posting here.  These were brushed steel hubcaps.  The later service versions are the aluminum style that are a D5 part number.  Those have deeper brush marks but not what you want.  You need to make sure you have the right hubcaps first because there is a subtle difference and you can tell when you know what your looking at.
This picture is the correct cap and finish....I would think for that you need a Scotchbrite pad, not sandpaper. 

20230508_113205 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

HDAshmore:
Doug,

Good morning.

You can also use a drill or angle grinder in a vice.

Simply cut a wooden or plastic (may use a frisbee), piece to secure hubcap on a bit in the drill or angle grinder.

Lock drill or grinder into vice and set on a low speed and use the finest scotch bright you can get and then work towards the desired effect as necessary.

Just a thought.

Dan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version