Author Topic: Brake shoes  (Read 395 times)

Offline markhone

• As original as I can keep it
Brake shoes
« on: March 10, 2024, 08:09:41 AM »
Hi all: Is there any benefit or not to using OE style riveted versus newer bonded style brake shoes on my /66 other than ?I know they're correct? Thanks. Mark
Mark Hone

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Brake shoes
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 12:16:32 PM »
Hi all: Is there any benefit or not to using OE style riveted versus newer bonded style brake shoes on my /66 other than ?I know they're correct? Thanks. Mark
Bonded was more common as a assemblyline style brake shoe vs riveted. At least on the SJ 65-67 cars that I am used to working on. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 12:18:25 PM »
Riveted is the most common after market manufactured style now it seems.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline markhone

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 04:00:04 PM »
Thanks a lot. M
Mark Hone

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 04:19:17 PM »
Of course the most correct shoes would typically be ones that were re manufactured using original cores that had the FOMOCO trademark stamped into the metal.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 01:14:24 AM »
Guess my experience has been the opposite for Mustangs.  I'm used to seeing assembly line shoes riveted and most aftermarket ones I see these days are bonded.  Metal part of shoes are stamped with either Bendix or K/H.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 12:33:20 PM »
Guess my experience has been the opposite for Mustangs.  I'm used to seeing assembly line shoes riveted and most aftermarket ones I see these days are bonded.  Metal part of shoes are stamped with either Bendix or K/H.
Yes I have frequently found NOS service parts riveted like the ones pictured. Yes hardware is marked  K/H and Bendix but the assemblyline parts more typically have the FOMOCO logo on them as well.

Offline markhone

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 10:27:47 PM »
Thanks all.M
Mark Hone

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 11:35:31 PM »
Looked through my collection and what has been collected over the decades and as one would guess not many examples where someone had a car with such low miles as to never had a brake job and then on top of it too pictures of the brake shoes.

Only one I could find. Car had under 5K miles

And a picture from 66 of assembly line/factory riveted shoes

And lastly the shoes were also marked on the edge of the shoes on many original and service/NOS replacements - Well at least found that practice on Bendix supplied shoes

Some service replacement examples. Notice the upper left and the every early Ford box they came in suggesting when these were made and boxed) And the bottom set is rebuilt rather than all new shoes

Don't keep pictures of aftermarket shoes
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 04:15:38 PM »
Impressive Jeff!  Thanks!