Author Topic: Decode Drive shaft Stencil?  (Read 2846 times)

Offline autonomousbronco

Decode Drive shaft Stencil?
« on: July 03, 2011, 07:54:50 PM »
I've found a stencil "19078-4F" and the font is approx 1" in height.  I think might be for the drive shaft of my '65 conv. San Jose plant car.
"When loading the trailer: Keep shiny side up and rubber side down."

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Decode Drive shaft Stencil?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 07:56:38 PM »
those are tubing id's from the tubing maker. has nothing to do with application in the car.
5F09C331248

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 10:01:17 AM »
That's what the stencil would be for. Where did you find it? was it from the original restoration?, if so it probably is already stamped.  Has been some discussion as Carlite65 indicated. The "19078" seems to be a common theme, however the 2 digit alpha numeric code doesn't seem to line up with any date codes. That why it's believed to be some type of tubing ID.  On my 66 convertible I have "19078- 5S"
Dave
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »
What we've been told by Ford plant workers is that each section of tubing (when cut) provided 3 Mustang drivelines.

As mentioned the base number identified the type (length, dia and thickness) of the tub - 19078

I believe that the last two - 4s for example identifies the date. It does not match the typical date codes from Ford since its not one of their codes  and that two exactly the same cars produced at different times of the production year have shown up with the same base code - but the only difference has been the last two digits.

At this point I know of no one that has found any documents or worker (of the steel tubing plant) that breaks it down all nice and neat at this point  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline autonomousbronco

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 02:41:46 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input. Firstly, Happy Fourth! ;D  Secondly, @ Dave, it was from a previous restoration of the 'stang. I was considering putting it back on but can't locate where it was. I've heard it might have been in yellow or black but unfortunately I don't know where to place it on the drive shaft.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 03:07:31 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input. Firstly, Happy Fourth! ;D  Secondly, @ Dave, it was from a previous restoration of the 'stang. I was considering putting it back on but can't locate where it was. I've heard it might have been in yellow or black but unfortunately I don't know where to place it on the drive shaft.

Always yellow but since your car has been restored once already we'll never know if its original to your car or something the last guy simply copied from someone elses car :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline autonomousbronco

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 02:43:08 AM »
Always yellow but since your car has been restored once already we'll never know if its original to your car or something the last guy simply copied from someone elses car :(

Luckily, the last guys bought the car new and were judges with MCA and when they initially restored the car back in the mid '80's they made the stencil off of the original markings. Unfortunately, I guess the restored markings have since faded or they made the stencil and didn't get around to putting it back on, but I'm working on fixing that :)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 05:18:55 PM »
black but unfortunately I don't know where to place it on the drive shaft.

Typically about the center (likely stamped in the middle of the long tub so the second one cut from the tub would be the one with the marking) of that driveline. Marked only one time in a stencil font
Jeff Speegle