Author Topic: FL-1  (Read 4870 times)

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
FL-1
« on: August 22, 2011, 06:05:45 AM »
Where does the white FL-1 oil filter fit into the scheme of things?
Is this an assmbly-line filter for big blocks...
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: FL-1
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:11:06 PM »
Where does the white FL-1 oil filter fit into the scheme of things?
Is this an assmbly-line filter for big blocks...
If I understand your question correctly the white FL1 type filter would be considered a replacement filter since the assemblyline filters were painted block color (painted at time of manufacture before being installed on engine IMHO).The appropriateness as a replacement filter would also be determined by which version of white Autolite or Motorcraft FL1 type filter to use depending on what car it is on and if you are trying to display it as if after the first oil change back in the day or oil change last week in 2011  ;). Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:04:59 AM »
As Bob mentioned just the markings (FL-1) is only part of the picture. You have the number of crimped rows, markings in the housing at the end, design of the ink stamp on the side and date codes when your considering using a particular oil filter and of course the class or level of restoration
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline GD64

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 03:57:35 AM »
This is what prompted the question.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Autolite-FL-1-Oil-Filter-1964-1973-Mustang-Boss-CJ-/180691372070?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a120b8826

I thought maybe big block as the filter is applied after the engine painting process.
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 05:22:51 AM »
This is what prompted the question......
I thought maybe big block as the filter is applied after the engine painting process.

Currently you can get by in concours with a painted or unpainted filter. In this case ( a reproduction) I believe that the printing is only applied to one side (rather than both like original), the design of the printing could be correct or incorrect depending on what year your car is. Finally the double crimp might be correct depending (again) on what you put it on. 

So, to get it over with ;) what would you be using this filter on?   Year and  engine size. 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline GD64

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 06:15:14 AM »
I'm too scared to say now :-[
1964 Ford Galaxie 390
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 07:14:11 AM »
I'm too scared to say now :-[
1964 Ford Galaxie 390

Please don't be scared to tell us about your Galaxie, I, like most here love ALL Fords!!
I personally think you'd be better off with a RED Rotunda filter or just paint an off the shelf Motorcraft FL-1A block color.           The one on Ebay is for '67 and up to somewhere?? '69?? I really don't know.
Keep in touch and let us know what you deceide!

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/64-12-65-RED-ROTUNDA-OIL-FILTER-P1061.aspx

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:18:58 AM by C5ZZKGT »

Offline GD64

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 09:48:53 AM »
Thank you for your encouragement C5ZZKGT,

I know the oil filter on my car will not be engine colour (390 big block) and in a first edition workshop manual shop manual shows an illustration of the black oil filter with yellow inkstamp (Assembly line ?)  the Red rotunda would be replaced at 6000mile.

If the black filter is an assembly line filter, with this run-in oil and filter replaced during pre-delivery, would the white FL-1 be installed prior to the 6000 mile service.

While this is not Mustang related, I hoped that the oil filter practice would be across the board procedure.
Many thanks to all. :)
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 11:03:14 AM »
Thank you for your encouragement C5ZZKGT,

I know the oil filter on my car will not be engine colour (390 big block) and in a first edition workshop manual shop manual shows an illustration of the black oil filter with yellow inkstamp (Assembly line ?)  the Red rotunda would be replaced at 6000mile.

If the black filter is an assembly line filter, with this run-in oil and filter replaced during pre-delivery, would the white FL-1 be installed prior to the 6000 mile service.

While this is not Mustang related, I hoped that the oil filter practice would be across the board procedure.
Many thanks to all. :)
It seems like you understand from your previous post the procedure. The run in filter is black (block color) in your case and the replacement filter back in the day would have been the red Rotunda filter. The run in filters (assemblyline) did have different information like date codes etc silk screened onto them which indicates they were added after painting of the engine block. Fortunately for all of us there is a reproduction of the red Rotunda filter with double fluted or crimped edges that look just like original. They are available from a number of vendors . Virgina classic Mustang or NPD just to name a few. If it were my car I would get the repro red Rotunda and install that if the rest of the car looks like it is 6,000 miles or more .  If the car is a fresh restoration that looks showroom with no or few miles I would take the red rotunda and not white Motorcraft because the shape is different and paint it black (block color). The printing on the filter is not something the vast majority of people viewing will ever miss IMHO.   Bob
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:07:05 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline GD64

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 12:47:40 PM »
Thank you Mr. Gaines,

You mentioned that the assembly filter was painted engine colour.
This would of been painted separate to the engine painting process because it's a big block?

64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 05:01:18 PM »
Thank you Mr. Gaines,

You mentioned that the assembly filter was painted engine colour.
This would of been painted separate to the engine painting process because it's a big block?

No ,I think you misunderstand . Let me put it another way. The filters were painted and silk screened at the oil filter manufacturer. They were manufactured at that time in the same color as the engine block  . The filters no doubt were delivered to the engine assemblyplant already prepared in some type of box on  skids or the like ready to be installed. They were added to the engine assembly after the engine was painted at the engine plant regardless of if it was a big block or small block. If you stop and think about it , a filter painted on a engine block would be effectively glued tight once the paint dried . At the very least it would be difficult to remove the first time . Many filters are difficult enough to remove without being painted on , let alone the thought of the extra force it would take to remove one that paint had sealed on. A mask was no doubt used to keep paint away from the oil filter area on a small block and a different one for a big block. The BB oil filter adapter and gasket was not painted on the engine and nether was the filter,  however as explained the filter was already the same color (prepared at the oil filter MFG.) before being installed. I hope this helps explain my point of view. Bob

Offline GD64

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 09:10:09 PM »
I appreciate your help.
Kind regards
Darryl
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model

Online TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 11:13:29 PM »
This is what prompted the question.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Autolite-FL-1-Oil-Filter-1964-1973-Mustang-Boss-CJ-/180691372070?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a120b8826

They are installed after engine is painted but they are painted separately
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America