Author Topic: Fred Ballard Pumps  (Read 7238 times)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Fred Ballard Pumps
« on: September 12, 2011, 08:39:47 PM »
Hi Folks,

Does anyone who has a Fred Ballard rebuilt fuel pump on their Mustang, drive it very much?

How many miles would you expect to get out of one before failure?

Bryan
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Fred Ballard Pumps
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 09:40:23 PM »
Bryan,
I have one on my 65 that Fred did with the very first bunch he did. Has to be a least a couple years worth of driving and still doing well. I hope it last a good long time.
Dave
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:52:32 PM »
I'm getting ready to run one soon.  Haven't heard of any failures.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »
Bryan-
    I picked up one of Fred's pumps just last month, actually going to be installing it along with my refurbished carb tomorrow night. I can't help you with how durable they are, I'm hoping my experience will be similar to Dave's !!!!

Are you asking because you're thinking of purchasing one or are you experiencing problems?

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 11:15:12 PM »
FRED BALLARDS, fuel pumps are A ok!!!!

2 years and 5000 miles so far and no issues on my unrestored 66 gt coupe.  the gaskets from what FRED has told me are good to go with present day fuels.

Best regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 11:18:21 PM »
I haven't installed the one he rebuilt for me yet but it looks great...All I ever heard was great things about his rebuilds...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 12:04:02 AM »
300+ miles with no problems.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 07:10:39 AM »
The reason I asked the question the way I did... is he's a good guy and I don't wish to criticize him in any way.  His services are needed and he's doing us all a FAVOR by redoing these pumps.

I put one of his pumps on my 66 which is to be a concours driven car.  He provided me very clear pictures of the pump I was to get and I agreed to it.  That's the pump I got.  I started driving the car 2 weeks ago and have about 500 miles on it.

Sunday...fuel exhaustion with 1/2 tank remaining...stranded.  Took the lid off the carb and the bowl was bone dry.  Wife brought gas.  Filled float bowl 5x to get home (3 miles).  Ran fine each time until bowl was empty.

I haven't removed the pump yet but the only thing I can see being the culprit is 1) The pump, or 2) Eccentric coming off if bolt was never tightened.

I know there's gas in the tank because fillup was only 50 miles ago.

When I received the pump, there was a dolup of JB Weld to hold the pivot pin for the lever in-place.  I had seen that in the pictures and didn't mind.  Do all of his pumps use JB Weld in this manner.

I DO NOT hold him responsible, if it turns out to be the pump.  I assumed and understand that there is absolutely no warranty on these pumps.  I was just wondering if they are more-or-less for display only.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline MUSTANGER

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »
 ;D Another vote for Fred`s pumps here.........No probs whats so ever.

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 04:57:02 PM »
Here in the UK ethanol percentage is being increased so I asked Fred if his rebuilt pumps will cope. He told me that ALL of the internals are safe to use with ethanol and modern unleaed fuels. I have had one of Freds pumps on now for quite a while and can say they are perfectly OK. I have no intention of 'saving' it and putting on a part store pump.
Maybe the cause of the OP 's problem lie with delivery to the pump ?. Here in the UK guys are having trouble with the rubber sections of the fuel lines being attacked by the ethanol, this breaks down the interior of the pipe and leads to flakes coming off that will block up a filter or pump.
13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT on the other side of the pond.

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 08:04:43 PM »
Bryan, I would start at the Carb and move backwards. Remove the filter and blow through it to make sure it is not clogged. Unless you are running a clear filter and can see an evident lack of fuel.
 If the filter checks out, then re-install filter to the incoming line and give the ignition just a couple cranks to see if the pump is sending fuel up the line, this will be evident if fuel comes out the filter(Make sure to put a rag or container there so you don't spill gas on the engine).
Then remove the incoming fuel line to the pump and if Gas spills out, then fuel is getting to the pump. If no fuel there, then it is farther back. Either a clogged fuel line or the Tank Pick-Up. IMHO, Just trying to help.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline flyingfred

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 08:46:03 PM »
Bryan,

This is Fred. If you are experiencing any pump problems on one of my pumps, I will back you up. This is not a no warranty situation. Please do not feel that you are out there on your own on this. Please contact me with any questions or concerns. In regards to the filler in the pivot pin hole, that was there when I purchased the core before restoration. I have gone to great lengths making tools and such to remove the arms without drilling the castings out as other rebuilders have done. That is how some cores have gotten the filler in the drilled out hole. I do not do that on any customer pumps or cores that have not been previously drilled out. I am the one that actually removes and replaces the arms on the pumps. The short version of this is that I will stand behind my work for a reasonable time and my place that does the crimping is happy to take care of any issues. So far I have only had one pump out of over 400 that had a slight leak at the crimp. That was repaired and sent back to the customer promptly.

It is certainly possible that the bolt was not properly tightened on the eccentric as I have made that mistake myself. Try loosing up the fuel pump attaching bolts and see if the fuel pump moves when cranking the engine. If it does not, your eccentric may be the problem. If it moves, then check for fuel at the inlet. I 100% check my pumps for proper function before they are shipped.

I am actively gathering pumps for my eighth run if anybody needs one done.

-Fred-

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 09:27:23 PM »
Thanks Fred for the response.

I removed the pump tonight but didn't have much time to diagnose.  While holding the pump in my hand and working the lever, I observed the following:
* On the down-stroke, there was massive suction on the nipple (inlet) side.  Enough to suck fuel all the way from China.  LOL
* On the upward stroke however, outlet pressure was only present when I blocked off the inlet nipple with my thumb.

I think a one-way check valve is not closing.

It looks like to me that if the suction intakes 1/2 ounce of fuel on the down-stroke, it would squirt right back into the tank on the up-stroke.

Am I correct?  I think a check-ball has failed.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline flyingfred

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 10:12:34 PM »
Bryan,

It was good speaking with you on the phone this evening. We are checking for possible debris in the fuel pump valves. We will know more in a few days when Bryan does the check on the valves per my suggestions.

-Fred-

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 06:04:29 AM »
Thanks Fred.
You are a good guy and obviously the kind of fella the world needs more of.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int