Author Topic: Choke Stove  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
Choke Stove
« on: October 04, 2011, 12:33:52 AM »
Can anybody tell or show me where the tube that comes out of the bottom of the choke stove goes.  The engine assembly manual shows it going up into the bottom of the air cleaner, but I don't see where it would go on the air cleaner.  I know the tube out the top goes up to the choke on the carburetor.  I'm assuming the bottom one supplies fresh air to the choke stove?

69 302-2V
no A/C
C4-Auto
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Choke Stove
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:54:42 AM »
There should be a nipple off the top of the carburetor where the tube attaches (at least this is how 65-68 works).  Which is where vacuum is used to draw hot up air from the choke stove in the exhaust manifold into the choke thermostatic coil.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »
The choke furnace circuit draws the cool fresh air from the carb air horn to the choke furnace where it is heated by the exhaust manifold and then the hot air rises up through the tube to the thermostatic coil in the carb . The hot air in rising through the convection process causes a displacement of air and pulls the cool air through the fresh air tube so as to displace the hot air rising up in the hot air circuit side of the two choke furnace tubes. The metal fresh air tube is connected to the carb air horn by a short piece of rubber hose typically. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 10:50:48 PM »
Makes total sense now after reading your response and further examination of the carburetor.

Thank you again guys for all the help.

David,
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue