Author Topic: Interior paint  (Read 2159 times)

Offline cobraboy

Interior paint
« on: November 06, 2011, 06:50:50 AM »
Hello Chaps
I bought some interior paint from NPD, it is the 'bright red' for a '65. I just sprayed some kick panels that I got from VA.
I know the interior has been painted in the past, but the new colour is very dark.
I think some of the trim around the rear window may be an original colour, the new is darker than that. It also seems quite glossy.
Has anyone tried this paint ?. What is the recommendation for a good match please. I see NPD dont list the paint I bought anymore, so cant put up a link.
April '65 Dearborn FB
Thanks
13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT on the other side of the pond.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Interior paint
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 01:39:24 PM »
Unfortunately, I think they only way you're going to get it exactly right is to have paint mixed up and spray it out of a gun.  The spray cans are just too inconsistent to depend on.  Plus, the durability of the spray can lacquer is not very good.  Easy to scratch with watch bands or just bumping up against it with objects.

I use Concept single stage paint, reduced with OneChoice Matting agent to the "eggshell" spec on the sheet.  Is very nice and very durable. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 01:49:44 PM »
Thank you Charles. I will take out the large trim over the rear screen and get it scanned.
A quick aside, are the black strips on a centre console to be matt ( flat ) or satin ( semi gloss ) ?
Thank you
Mark

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »
The console pebble section should be a satin black, just a hint of gloss, but not completely flat.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »
Thanks again. Having a bit of a tidy up.  :)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »
Although i cant say for sure how dark the red is that came out of the rattle can you bought but a couple of original unrestored early cars Ive recently seen with the red interiors all were on the darker side of what i would have thought. All three were black with red interiors. What a great looking interior/exterior combination.

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 03:23:28 PM »
I think the trouble is that my dash has been repainted in the past and is lighter than it should be. If the trim around the rear window is supposed to be the same colour as all the rest of the interior then I will have something to go on, as I dont think this has been repainted.
The new paint is quite dark, it is pointless me putting up a pic as I am sure it wont be correct by the time it gets on here.
I should have just got the trim scanned in the first place, but thought it would be easier buying the 'correct' paint, but that has not been the case. It was a struggle to get it here, and now I am not happy with it.