Author Topic: Exhaust Manifold  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
Exhaust Manifold
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:38:28 PM »
I media blasted my manifolds some minor pitting but I noticed that there is crack on one of the bolt hole flanges.  The crack is on the opposite end where the tail pipe connects on both manifolds.  Is this something I need to be concerned about or is it merely cosmetic.  I was hoping to use these original manifolds.
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Exhaust Manifold
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 06:53:06 PM »
I would say that if the car/engine in your signature line then you should seek out a replacement manifold-standard 302 exhaust manifolds should be pretty easy to come by and be inexpensive as well.
It sounds like your crack will be the source of an exhaust leak......and not just cosmetic.

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 09:40:43 PM »
Thank you for the advice, I'm new to the hobby, I will do some searching and post a wanted add on the site.
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 10:53:10 AM »
You might also want to keep an eye on Ebay, I'd suggest removing your manafold from the engine so you can compaire it with a replacement to be sure to get the right one.
This is a very interesting hobby to say the least, so Welcome!!

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 11:55:19 PM »
After further investigation I'm questioning if these are the correct manifolds for my car.  This is the casting number I found on them C6OE-9431-F for the LH and C6OE-9430-F on the RH.  If I'm understanding the little I know about casting numbers these are for a 66 mustang, is this correct?  any tips on decoding parts would also be much appreciated.  I have a book that briefly explains it but not to very much depth.  Again thank you for the help!

David,
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 12:05:56 AM »
According to Bob Mannel's book (Mustang & Ford Small Block V8) those castings were used from 66 to 69 on 286CID (ex HP) and 302CID engines. It's the cast in date codes that signify year. You can get cast iron welded as an option, although I am not too sure about the reliability.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.