Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Misc Items

65 Heater Motor

<< < (2/6) > >>

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: Texas Swede on January 09, 2012, 06:52:38 PM ---Thanks Brant,
Looking forward to the width of the tape,
Texas Swede

--- End quote ---
The tape is one inch wide and a dark tan in color. Regular masking tape is too light in shade, what you are looking for is closer to brown paper bag (brown paper bag with contact cement?).
Slightly off topic, the tape used on a San Jose 67 (May 67 build) was one inch friction tape.
Jim

Texas Swede:
Thanks Jim,
I ordered the tape from deadnutson and they say their tape is black. Can it be the tape loses it's
luster over the years? Much like myself.
Texas Swede

CharlesTurner:
The original tape I've been seeing doesn't have a brown appearance, it's more of a blotchy dark to medium gray.  The tape on driven cars will lighten with age though.

jwc66k:
The guy I bought my San Jose build 65 GT Fastback from pressure washed the engine compartment prior to my buying the car. He didn't do that good a job. I remember that there was a small piece of what looked like masking tape attached to the bottom left of the blower that I knocked off when I replaced the heater core. That was 19 years ago. I have a "Dec 2 1965" dated motor sitting on my desk as I type. You can see the remnants of something in one spot about three inches long. It is 15/16inch wide. I just removed a painted over 1/4 inch chunk. Whatever material it is, the color against the motor housing is light brown (almost rust?).
So, by the process of elimination, it is not plastic tape, it is not duct tape, it is not friction tape and it don't stick well. Using a bit of logic, as the tape deterioriates over time and appears to have allowed moisture thru to the housing, it is most likely paper based. Masking tape has that type of property so as a replacment material, masking tape. Charles say grey or dark blotch. So the question remaining is - where do you get it?
Jim

CharlesTurner:
On something like a concours car, I have spray painted 1" wide masking tape and wrapped it around the motor.  For the T-bred stuff, I would use an NOS motor like in the picture above that has the original tape.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version