Author Topic: It's Seatbelt Inquisition Time -  (Read 10991 times)

Offline jwc66k

It's Seatbelt Inquisition Time -
« on: February 26, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »
Here are some pictures of seat belts from my vast collection. Be constructive, objective and kind, "I know where your relatives are in the Eastern Zone".
1. A 64 belt front latch strap with the ring type clasp, marked on back - C3RA-2561276-A, Rotunda.
2. The front tang strap to the 64 above.
3. A pair of 65-66 retractors, short neck. Compare these to the 67 long neck.
4. A 65 Standard front. I identified it as C5MB-6261202-AW for inventory purposes.
5. A 66 Deluxe latch from my "K" car. The same style latch may be used for 65 Deluxe.
6. A 66 Standard front latch.
7. A 66 Standard front latch and tang, from an Oct 65 San Jose car.
More on next post.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

Re: It's Seatbelt Inquisition Time -
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 03:27:03 PM »
OK, Part Deux -
1. A 66 Standard rear, note bent mounting tabs.
2. A 67 (and 68 possibly) retractor, long neck. A friend wanted this long neck style in her 65 as the ends were less likely to get stuck in the door.
3. A 68 Standard front.
4. A detail of the date code from the above belt. Is it a 69? And how do you read it. Almost all the other date code patches were missing, torn up, dirty beyond belief or otherwise unintelligible.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline tomtri66

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 04:12:52 PM »
Thanks for this post Jim.  I need to look at mine again and see which I have.
MCA# 78748 Adirondack Shelby Mustang Club
66 Metuchen HT Sprint 200 Package B
6T07T194XXX   65A       Y       22     20A     ?        2       6
                    BODY  COLOR  TRIM  DATE  DSO  AXLE  TRANS
C/O    762
4        A20     6T07T194XXX
65A       Y        22

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 04:38:55 PM »
.............4. A detail of the date code from the above belt. Is it a 69? And how do you read it. Almost all the other date code patches were missing, torn up, dirty beyond belief or otherwise unintelligible.

Jim think there is a TSB article on reading the info (as a result of a recall in 70) I'll see if I can find it.

If this passes review I'll contact you about putting it in pdf format and posting it over to the Library also - if your ok with that
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:40:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 05:07:35 PM »
Jim, the Date code on the Tag is a Week-Year Format. I can't tell if that is the 7th Week of 1968 or the 17th Week of 1968. Either would fall into 1968 Model Year Production.

Also, the 1969 Front Lap Buckle Belt was a 2-Piece with the Lap Buckle and Shoulder Buckle Belts sewn together at the base. 1968 used separate Belts. It is definitely a 1968 belt.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 05:23:38 PM »
Jim think there is a TSB on reading the info (as a result of a recall in 70) I'll see if I can find it.

If this passes review I'll contact you about putting it in pdf format and posting it over to the Library also - if your ok with that
Sounds good to me. For a long time I've looked for pictures of seat belts that show the difference between years and optional ones with-in years and kept coming up short.
Jim

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 05:29:16 PM »
Jim, the Date code on the Tag is a Week-Year Format. I can't tell if that is the 7th Week of 1968 or the 17th Week of 1968. Either would fall into 1968 Model Year Production.

Also, the 1969 Front Lap Buckle Belt was a 2-Piece with the Lap Buckle and Shoulder Buckle Belts sewn together at the base. 1968 used separate Belts. It is definitely a 1968 belt.
I think its a 7 vs 17 but your explanation sound reasonable. The "102" is a puzzlement, and is the same format date code used for 64-66? In my pile of belts (picture to follow) there are a couple of 69 belts and some other odd ones. My collection is from a lot of well meaning people that are reformed pack-rats (I'm following the 14 step plan myself) and I have little history of any.
Jim

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »
Here's the pile. Domestic chores caused me to pause but here it is.
Also, the second picture is of the latches and the question is how do you get the "latch" part (tan plastic) off?
Jim

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 03:38:32 PM »
Also, the second picture is of the latches and the question is how do you get the "latch" part (tan plastic) off?
Jim
The following applies to a 66 Hardtop, Oct 65 San Jose build.
One of my standard 66 belts was damaged so I used it as a test mule (I took it apart). My conclusion is that the best bet is to leave repairs and restoration to the "pros". The reasons are that in order to remove the pins, no 1 in the 1st picture, the webbing must be removed (sewing webbing requires a heavy duty machine), and then a special tool inserted in the webbing slot to push out the pins. The pins are held in by a retainer, no 2 in the 1st picture, similar (larger) to the retainers that hold letters and emblems to fenders on 64 thru 66 (and others). The latch lifting part pivots on the pin indicated by no 3 which pulls up the tang holder (my name for whatever it is) and releases the tang half. Picture 2 shows a close-up of the latch frame, pin and retainer, and picture 3 shows where the lifting slot is located (the cracks are optional).
In picture 1, note the wide rectangular slot and wide pivot ends for attaching the belts to the body. The rear belts are identical except for lengths and the bent pivot ends.
Part numbers: ref 1966 Mustang Interior Assembly Manual, pg37; 1966 Mustang Body Assembly Manual, pg 41.
C6ZB-65611A72-CW, front HT and Fastback
C6ZB-76611A72-FW, front convertible
C6ZB-65613B84-AW, all rear
Service part numbers: ref Body Section 610 pg 9 (xxx = color)
C6OZ-62611A72-xxx, front HT and Fastback
C6ZZ-73611A72-xxx, front convertible
C6AZ-62613B84-xxx, all rear to 5/16/66
C6ZZ-65613B84-xxx, all rear from 5/16/66
I don't know what the specific differences are between front convertible belts and HT or Fastback but I assume it is in mounting.
Markings: (a "/" indicated next line down)
Latch, front and rear: reverse side, FOMOCO in an oval / B 5 (ID?) / JR (manufacturer?) / 7-64 date code (month, year)
Mount, front (applies to both ends): W 4 A2 (RH side, note spacing); JR (manufacturer ?, LH side)
Mount, front (applies to plastic shield on tang end): FOMOCO in an oval; W5 JR / THIS BELT MEETS ALL / REQUIREMENTS OF / GSA-JJB-185a-SAE-J4b
Mount, front (applies to plastic shield on latch end): FOMOCO in an oval; W5 JR / THIS BELT MEETS ALL / REQUIREMENTS OF / GSA-JJB-185a-SAE-J4b / DATE 7-64
Mount, rear (applies to both ends): JR (LH side); AB6 (RH side); note - no markings on plastic sheaths.
The sewed in labels are located on the mount ends on the visible side of all belts (but were too dirty to read).
Jim

Offline rodster

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 12:53:45 AM »
Last summer at a swap meet, a vendor with a bunch of 65 Mustang stuff had seat belts with an odd texture, I think he called snakeskin or something like that, and claimed they were from a very early car.  Anyone ever heard/seen such a thing or was it just swap meet BS?
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 08:20:57 AM »
I've got these in my coupe now. Had to pick them up on ebay though, didn't think the "GM" belts that were the car when I bought it were concours correct!!

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline rodster

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 12:28:53 PM »
Yep..they are the ones! 

So what's the deal with them?
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 12:54:40 PM »
I've got these in my coupe now. Had to pick them up on ebay though, didn't think the "GM" belts that were the car when I bought it were concours correct!!

Greg
Great picture, you get bonus points for the shot and the description. I don't remember seeing that type of texture on Mustang belts. What's the marking on the back?
Jim

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 01:29:40 PM »
Yep..they are the ones! 

So what's the deal with them?

Well I'm just a student on this forum not a teacher, but the seat belt style is one of the early nuances referenced here #25 -

http://www.svs.com/zim/mustang/64interior.html

As far as the tag on the back, sorry Jim, bought the belts for the buckles, had them re-webbed and had tags from Python sewn on. (If you mean the buckle: H B4A   1-64 )

Greg
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:05:03 PM by kutzoh »
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 06:50:40 PM »
Yeah, it was the buckle I was interested in, mostly to provide a means to identify the belts to years and/or Ford. I looked at mine from the picture and it has a FoMoCo script in an oval in the middle of the back. Does yours have that?
Jim