Author Topic: No runs, or drips on the bottom, a point deduction?  (Read 7168 times)

Offline 67gta289

Re: No runs, or drips on the bottom, a point deduction?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 10:41:21 PM »
I've personnally been very happy using a syringe with thick needle.  I cover the floor, then squirt matching tinted epoxy above the area where the drips should be.  The epoxy runs down to the low points and drips down onto the temporary disposable floor cover.  Because of the waste on the floor I work from the inside out.

The thinks I like about this method is (1) less waste, (2) same material as floor, (3) same color throughout, (4) no rush, (5) I can survey the look and go back and add more strategically to add to the randomness if and where needed.

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Toploader

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 04:47:47 PM »
I've personnally been very happy using a syringe with thick needle.  I cover the floor, then squirt matching tinted epoxy above the area where the drips should be.  The epoxy runs down to the low points and drips down onto the temporary disposable floor cover.  Because of the waste on the floor I work from the inside out.

The thinks I like about this method is (1) less waste, (2) same material as floor, (3) same color throughout, (4) no rush, (5) I can survey the look and go back and add more strategically to add to the randomness if and where needed.

It's worth a thought. A once sloppy hasty assembly line routine has now turned into a process akin to an artist's work on his canvas...
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 04:53:20 PM »
It's worth a thought. A once sloppy hasty assembly line routine has now turned into a process akin to an artist's work on his canvas...

That's exactly right.  It's amazing the lengths we go to just to replicate something that was slapped together on the assembly line.  It's the same with seam sealer, firewall sealer, etc.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 05:57:26 PM »
I could find a way to complicate a grain of SALT!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 08:50:06 PM »
How about a different spin?  While the factory method was certainly fast, and the particular process did not require a high level of skill, consider what it would take to replicate it exactly.  A moving assembly line, a "bath" of primer, spray nozzles with pumping and pipes/hoses to connect the dots.

So when we talk spray cans, syringe needles, and other alternatives, I think it is more of combining inginuity and frugalness.  I think the alternatives are less complicated in comparison to the original method.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Toploader

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 05:06:02 PM »
Good point.
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible