Author Topic: Door Glass help?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Angela

Door Glass help?
« on: July 22, 2013, 05:20:09 PM »
After one is able to remove the old door window glass from the original channels (which attach to the regulators), how is the new glass affixed back into the channels? And is this done before the channels are installed into the doors, or after?

Offline C5ZZ

Re: Door Glass help?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 06:46:45 PM »
You will need to get setting tape for the channels
which is available from NPD and maybe other vendors.

This should all be done outside the door , its a force fit.
The whole assy is then installed into the door.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 11:29:07 AM »
OK, thanks! I've heard of the setting tape you mention, but don't know how it works. The old "tape" I removed from the original channels seems to be formed into a "U" shape. Is the tape sticky and if so do I need to heat it up to be able to slide the glass into the channel? Any/all tips would be appreciated.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 11:37:59 AM »
it takes the shape when the glass is pressed into place. comes on a roll in different sizes. no heat is used.
5F09C331248

Offline Angela

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 12:48:24 PM »
I'm getting ready to "set" the glass and would like to learn from experience of others:

(1) Should I set the tape into the window regulator "channel", then press the glass into it? -OR-
(2) Wrap the setting tape around the glass and then push that into the window regulator "channel"?

AND, (3) it is best to do either of the above BEFORE the regulator is inserted into the door, -OR- must I first install the window regulator "channel" into the door and then install the glass into that channel?

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 02:22:32 PM »
I'm getting ready to "set" the glass and would like to learn from experience of others:

(3) it is best to do either of the above BEFORE the regulator is inserted into the door, -OR- must I first install the window regulator "channel" into the door and then install the glass into that channel?

I would set the glass into the channel on the work bench. The channel and glass assembly goes into the door as a unit.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Angela

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 04:47:33 PM »
Wow! I've never done this before and I am truly amazed the glass and channel will fit through the slot in the door without damaging the paint. I wish I could find a video on-line wherein someone was installing these pieces.

So the setting tape just lays into the channel and the glass will just slide in? I'm confused...... it was one heck of a job to get the old tape and glass out, that I find it difficult to believe it's easy to reinstall using new tape.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 05:01:48 PM »
i usually put sown several layers of masking tape before trying to install the glass into the door. the use of a rubber hammer & some dish soap may aid in getting the glass back into the channel. you may have to trim off excess tape around the glass. easy once you have done a few. just take your time & if frustrated.....walk away.
5F09C331248

Offline Angela

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 05:43:53 PM »
Thanks for the advice about the tape and hammer. I'm sorry to be such an idiot, but I don't understand if you guys put the setting tape into the channel, and then "pound" the glass into it. OR, are you wrapping the setting tape around the glass and then pounding that into the channel?