Author Topic: NPD's Interior Paint: Lacquer/PPG vs. SEM?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline drummingrocks

NPD's Interior Paint: Lacquer/PPG vs. SEM?
« on: October 31, 2013, 03:56:31 PM »
I need to repaint the doors and dash on the '67 coupe I just bought.  It has the Ivy Gold deluxe interior, and I noticed that NPD carries light ivy gold in both Lacquer/PPG and SEM mixes.  I've always used the lacquer/PPG paint that NPD sells for $9.40.  Though I've used lots of SEM products over the years, I don't think I've ever used any of their interior paint.  NPD's description says that the lacquer/PPG is for hard surfaces, whereas the SEM paint is equally at home on hard or flexible surfaces.

Would anyone care to comment on which choice would be the best?  The interior has been repainted at least once before, and in areas where the newer paint is flaking, you can see that the repaint is a shade off from the original factory-applied paint.  Which would be my best best for accurate color, longevity, etc.?  This isn't something I want to have to do again!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline mjd 65

Re: NPD's Interior Paint: Lacquer/PPG vs. SEM?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 08:20:09 PM »
I think just about everyone on this site will tell you that you will never get a factory finish on interior parts with a spray can.  For best results, you really need to get the proper color mixed and spray it with a spray gun.  Having said that, I had good results painting my  plastic seat bracket  covers with NPD's SEM paint.  It was a good match for the factory color (much better than the Scott Drake paint) and went on well. NPD represents the SEM paint can be used on both rigid and flexible parts.  As spray can paint goes, it is probably the best I've used, but I'd be hesitant to use it for the whole interior.
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop