Author Topic: Engine start up  (Read 1071 times)

Offline nham3407

Engine start up
« on: January 06, 2014, 11:29:04 AM »
This weekend met another milestone in reaching my goal of Charlotte in April.  42 years to the day of my Marti Report build date she was fired up.  This is the first time in 13 years this car has had a running engine.  While I lost the original H-code for the car in a family move back in the 80's I was able to locate a very close to original production date.  The block is dated 1K15 (November 15,1971) and my original flex plate is dated 11/21/71.  As I was assembling the engine that was a very welcomed discovery.  Still have alot more to accomplish between now and April, but this is good achievement in my book.

67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
Re: Engine start up
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 12:14:31 PM »
Anywhere else I would "sarcastically comment" on the 4 fire extinguishers!   But knowing WE all work on cars, the cost to be prepared AND the fact that (I'll BET) you have more in back of the car tells me you are SMART !  (A boy Scout/always be prepared)

My guess also is YOU have done great detail work with the investment in time and money to insure the car is correct.   ANYONE can build a car with a credit card and a catalog!   It takes time to source date coded parts, clean restore and install correctly - CONGRATULATIONS.

Mark
P.S.  Since I'm guessing about the Boy Scout - I'll bet that you have replaced parts more than once!   Looking for the best or using one until you get a better!    The day I finished my 1969 SCJ - I started to hunt the better parts that I didn't have on start up ALSO for a "build date" refire  40 years latter!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:16:50 PM by svo2scj »
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline nham3407

Re: Engine start up
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 10:23:47 AM »
Mark,
I was not the most noteworthy scout, but in this instance I feel you cannot be too prepared.  Between the amount of money tied up in this car and the garage with all of the remaining parts and tools in it, 10lbs of prevention is my philosophy.  I am trying to acquire as many date correct and refinish as many original parts as possible on this car, but the budget is really getting a hammer lock now.  Between the holiday spending with two teenagers still at home and all of the other family expenses everyone has it is going to be tight on the accounts between now and April.  I am glad to say my wife has been reluctantly agreeable to meeting my timeline.  We started dating in this car in High School and she knows the sentimental value it has to me.  Hopefully a couple more months of raiding the savings account and we can move forward and enjoy the car together.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)