Author Topic: When is Grabber Orange not Grabber Orange?  (Read 3343 times)

Offline carm

When is Grabber Orange not Grabber Orange?
« on: April 09, 2014, 11:11:55 PM »
My paint shop is  getting ready to paint my conv. in PPG 2232 Grabber Orange. They are using a two stage paint, base coat and clear coat.  He will be using a one stage PPG 2232 to do the undercarriage overspray, with no clear. So he ordered the PPG 2232, code U, but when we got the paint the invoice says PPG 2232 code K.
Now the two stage orange is in the outfield, totally wrong ( its' an orange, but really orange), while the one stage paint is right on ( the familiar school bus yellow, orange). Does anybody know if the code K has something to do with this? I would really appreciate your help right now, thanks. Carm.
1969 GT350 convertible grabber orange
Auto
Built: April 21,1969. Dearborn

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: When is Grabber Orange not Grabber Orange?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 09:26:46 AM »
I dont know specifically the issue about the K designation but I can tell you modern formulas are way off in most cases and usually very different between BC/CC and single stage. We always do spray outs and match to an original section of car or known original paint samples. In the case of the undercarriage rather than mixing paint types we get the color correct in the BC for the upper body but add clear directly to the BC to spray the undercarriage areas
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 07:56:39 PM »
 Why not use single stage on the entire car, especially on a solid color? 

Offline carm

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:17:31 PM »
Unfortunatly, I don't have any original paint on the car to compare. Can you guys tell me if todays' single stage PPG 2232 paints are the same exact colour ( out of the can) as the original.

I was convinced by my paint shop and other friends in the hobby to go with the new BC/CC paints because of the advantages these new paints offer. I tended to agree with them as it would be more practicle in my case. However, if the colour can't be matched perfectly in BC/CC, I will decide to go with the single stage paints. The colour is the whole soul of this car.
Don't get me wrong, I totally appreciated the purists way of restoring these cars. I just love reading about your facts and detailing techniques and the lenghts to which you guys go to in your restorations. I'm fascinated when I look at your cars, they are works of art. I will never forget when I first laid eyes on Bobs' Boss cars. But,when I talk about them to some of my friends, they look at me strange and think that the forums I read are full of wackos. What do mean, paint drips are good, the bolts have to have the right letters, overspray, and what this about rust spots?? Carm.
1969 GT350 convertible grabber orange
Auto
Built: April 21,1969. Dearborn

Offline Murf

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 11:39:23 PM »
I just finished a 68 California Special using single stage.  The color was Wimbledon White and single stage was my choice.  Todays base/clear paints look to me little like the original baked finish our Mustangs had when built and the newer paints have somehow lost the ability to deliver the correct color.  When you see a properly applied single stage paint on a Mustang it jumps at you and replicates very well how these cars appeared when they were new.  Application of single stage has become somewhat of a black art with few body shops wanting to use this process.  You may have to look for the right guy or twist some arms to get what you want but the result is worth the effort.  Just one persons opinion and your goal may take you in a different direction.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 02:23:45 PM »

I was convinced by my paint shop and other friends in the hobby to go with the new BC/CC paints because of the advantages these new paints offer. I tended to agree with them as it would be more practicle in my case. However, if the colour can't be matched perfectly in BC/CC, I will decide to go with the single stage paints. The colour is the whole soul of this car.
That tends to be what body shops say when they aren't familiar/experienced with single stage paints. I would put any single stage job I've ever done up against BC/CC. Yes BC/CC is easier to repair put single stage isn't that hard if you know what you are doing. The only downside of single stage is metallics can be blotchy but as Bob pointed out you've got a solid color
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Toploader

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 03:27:05 PM »
Todays base/clear paints look to me little like the original baked finish our Mustangs had when built and the newer paints have somehow lost the ability to deliver the correct color.  When you see a properly applied single stage paint on a Mustang it jumps at you and replicates very well how these cars appeared when they were new.

+1.
BC/CC looks far to thick IMO. A paint job's equivalent of radial tires.
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible