Author Topic: Gauge feed wire loom  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Jim65

Gauge feed wire loom
« on: October 27, 2014, 02:59:50 PM »
I purchased a partially restored 1965 fastback a few months ago from a person that had grown tired of it and needed the cash . Manufactured June 24th Dearborn Michigan 289 C code silver smoke grey standard red interior . I ordered a gauge feed wire loom from the folks at npd everything seemed to be correct except the plug at the firewall . The one in the car has 6 male type connectors the one I received has 6 male type connectors and 1 female type with a heavy gauge wire with ring connector that I can only assume would be for the alt or starter . The folks at npd said the type I have is most likely for a warning light dash and not gauges , I do have gauges . Has anyone ever encountered this before ? or did some one swap the dash and  DR Frankenstein do the wiring .   

Offline jwc66k

Re: Gauge feed wire loom
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 04:11:14 PM »
There are two under dash wiring harnesses for 1965, the standard harness for indicator lights, and one for gauges. You say that you have gauges which indicates that you most likely had the deluxe (pony) interior. To verify this, you should have a "B" as a suffix in the body style on the door data tag, 63B, 65B or 76B. The other variation would be a GT but with a "C" code engine, that was not an offered option. What's next is difficult, I am not aware of a reproduction harness for a 65 with gauges. Forum poster "midlife" may have something to help.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 07:58:30 PM »
There are two different harnesses listed in the Alloy Metal catalog. The information above is correct, one is for "gauges", the other for "warning lamps" . I can try to help you get what you need, if you can't find it in the vendor catalogs. I have been selling Alloy's Concours wires for 30 years. I can get a lot of specialty pieces that are not listed in your average vendor catalogs and offer discounts on larger orders. I have even had some pieces custom made over the years.  Just drop me an email.

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:06:41 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:27:57 PM »
It's impossible to get a factory gauge dash cluster without the 7 pin gauge firewall connector.  The seventh pin is for the 1965 inductive-activated ammeter.

There were actually three variants of underdash harnesses in 1965, and two variants of gauge harnesses.  Two of the three underdash harnesses were for the swept speedo dash: one with the two speed heater and the other with the three speed heater.  Both of these have six pin gauge firewall plugs.

The original poster states he has a gauge cluster but the six pin gauge cluster.  I'd advise him to look closely at the underdash side of the gauge plug to see if a pin has been removed or not.  My hunch is that he has 1966 underdash wiring with the two ammeter pins removed so that the gauge plug will mate with the gauge harness.  I believe Dr. Frankenstein has been at work on this vehicle.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Jim65

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 03:44:32 AM »
Dr Frankenstein May very we'll have been at work here if you see what the rest of the wiring looks like , harnesses splices with the wrong gauge wire just plane nasty but this will change . I was hoping to just rewire under the hood but if the whole car needs to be done in order to be correct that's what will be done . Nothing will be done part way ,any suggestions would be appreciated . I purchased the car mainly because it is laser straight new floor pans completely new suspension front end ect  . It is a 1965 C code fastback although it does have an A code 289 in it . It is quite possible that the instrument cluster was changed at one time these are things I need to find out Frankenstein be damned

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 02:31:10 PM »
Jim, are you asking about the gauge feed on the engine?

One option is to replace the wiring woth an OEM appearing replacement. I can do one piece or everything with original, new reproduction wiring.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 04:02:09 PM »
There is an "acid" test to see if your 65 did have factory gauges. Remove the instrument cluster and pay attention to the lower edge of the dash. If there is a "dip" you probably have the factory gauges. If it is straight, look for Igor too. You did not reply to the door data plate question about the deluxe interior "B" (see a couple of posts up).
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Jim65

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 05:46:28 PM »
Decoded the door tag 63 A  K 25  25 24T 63  6  6  from what I can figure out is is a dearborne car destination Memphis standard interior color was silver smoke grey C4 cruseomatic transmission 2.9 to 1 rear end somebody obviously changed the gauge cluster they look to be period correct the next decision I have to make is restoration or restomod I don't have the original block but do have the trani any one know any mustang people in stpete fl I'm a damn goof mechanic just not an electrical guy