Author Topic: Pictures from 2011 MCA Grand National  (Read 7275 times)

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Pictures from 2011 MCA Grand National
« on: September 08, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »
I have posted a few pictures on our Blog from the MCA Grand National Show.  I wish that I would have taken more, but it was a busy weekend.

Blog is here:
http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Specific posts are here:
http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2011/09/mca-grand-national-show-2011_08.html

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2011/09/mca-grand-national-show-2011.html

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Pictures from 2011 MCA Grand National
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 05:21:31 PM »
Brant, Thanks for posting these!

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 05:29:40 PM »
great shots there brant!! we are still working ours up to post.....stay tuned to these pixels.
5F09C331248

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 05:49:03 PM »
Brant, I guess here is just as good of a place as any to ask if I may why your restorer chose to paint/color your hood hinges, springs and secondary catch loop black? Please understand I for one are NOT picking on your beutiful car (it puts mine to shame) just curious.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 05:52:18 PM »
i also judged brant's car at waldorf. i assure you the finishes were spot on for the time period of production. pictures can often distort colors to make them appear as what they are not.
5F09C331248

Offline Brant

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »
Brant, I guess here is just as good of a place as any to ask if I may why your restorer chose to paint/color your hood hinges, springs and secondary catch loop black? Please understand I for one are NOT picking on your beutiful car (it puts mine to shame) just curious.
Rick,
Hood Hinges and springs on the earlier production cars were painted black.  My car is Aug. '64 production.

The hood catch is dark phosphate (may have sort of looked black, but it's not.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:18:40 PM by Brant »

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 09:02:08 AM »
Brant, Thanks for clairifying. YOUR car should now be the focus on your next catalog!! to be used as an example when folks are looking for info on parts, finishes and techniques for a very proper restoration!
I think the stamp on your rear window came out very nice, I think I will get mine done now!

Offline 66GTCoupe

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 10:30:56 PM »
This car was very over restored I would have taken 3 points off for no orange peel, some chips in paint near driver side quarter extension no engine tag, bottom of doors were painted wrong, rear window installed wrong, no drips underneath, buff undercarriage,  seam sealer wrong at lower quarters, no drips in trunk, wrong stamps incorrect font for final assembly ok,  engine compartment stress in steel not pressent missing ie over restored. Back up light harness screw missing in engine compartment hole was their but no screw this screw protrudes out from underneath the firewall pad.   Phosephate was way to dark if infact it was phos.  What do we have a judging rule book for is this the new standard for judging I counted 15 points easy on this car and that's looking at for  5 minutes.  And plus it should have been disqualified which is in the rule book if you leave early why have rules this should be made example of for leaving early. 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 02:17:36 AM »
This car was very over restored I would have taken 3 points off for no orange peel, some chips in paint near driver side quarter extension no engine tag, bottom of doors were painted wrong, rear window installed wrong, no drips underneath, buff undercarriage,  seam sealer wrong at lower quarters, no drips in trunk, wrong stamps incorrect font for final assembly ok,  engine compartment stress in steel not pressent missing ie over restored. Back up light harness screw missing in engine compartment hole was their but no screw this screw protrudes out from underneath the firewall pad.   Phosephate was way to dark if infact it was phos.  What do we have a judging rule book for is this the new standard for judging I counted 15 points easy on this car and that's looking at for  5 minutes.  And plus it should have been disqualified which is in the rule book if you leave early why have rules this should be made example of for leaving early.

Is this really necessary?  Ok, you obviously don't like how the car was restored, but did you even think that maybe it was restored that way intentionally?  Knowing Brant, he would have been fine with however the judging ended up.  He can't help that the judging team might have overlooked some items, even if they are obvious.

From what I understand, the national head judge approved the early departure, so the car would not be disqualified.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 09:45:49 AM »
Is this really necessary?  Ok, you obviously don't like how the car was restored, but did you even think that maybe it was restored that way intentionally?  Knowing Brant, he would have been fine with however the judging ended up.  He can't help that the judging team might have overlooked some items, even if they are obvious.

From what I understand, the national head judge approved the early departure, so the car would not be disqualified.
I agree with Charles we should not pick apart others cars here or on other forums. Even if the deductions are correct. They may choose to leave their car at home rather than face the barage of post show criticism. Marty

Offline Murf

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 10:05:26 AM »
The pioneers are always shot!
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 11:24:29 AM »
I agree with Charles we should not pick apart others cars here or on other forums. Even if the deductions are correct. They may choose to leave their car at home rather than face the barage of post show criticism. Marty

I don't mind giving and taking constructive feedback on any car I have done, but it can be done in such a way that is not confrontational or demeaning.  My golden rule in this regards has been to keep my mouth shut unless someone asks for my opinion.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »
I don't mind giving and taking constructive feedback on any car I have done, but it can be done in such a way that is not confrontational or demeaning. My golden rule in this regards has been to keep my mouth shut unless someone asks for my opinion.
If you want to share in a friendly way, information on the way something you think was done wrong on a car it is very important that you share it in a non confrontational , non demeaning ,sensitive way to get across your honorable intent. Asumming you want to be taken as honorable  ;) Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 03:05:35 PM »

I think the tone was a little harsh, but I for one would like to know what judges (the ones that actually judged the car, and other judges that have seen it) thought of that car. Mainly because Brant was nice enough to include so  much information on the restoration.

Brant said they did the research on the under carriage finish, etc. Some discussion of whether they got it right, may be warranted.

After looking at those pictures on the web, quite a few cars may show up at shows finished like that one...
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline Brant

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 05:02:35 PM »
This car was very over restored I would have taken 3 points off for no orange peel, ......disqualified which is in the rule book if you leave early why have rules this should be made example of for leaving early.
Nate,
I addressed this in the other thread that you posted.  ...just can't leave it alone, can you? 

We have a small, tight community of folks that appreciate the fine details on the cars, and I enjoy being part of it on the hobby side, meaning it isn't only a business for me.  I really do enjoy the cars.  Your best bet is to join us, rather than burn bridges.  And as someone mentioned, attacking anyone's car, regardless if it is the highest scoring or the lowest scoring, on a public forum is just plain rude.

Others have spoken before I saw this, and I'm taking the "high road."  As many of you know, Jeremy and I did a lot of research it determining correct finishes, details, etc.  I would/will not change hardly anything.  And yes, Charles is correct, we chose to restore it in the manner that it is restored.  Nothing was really a "mistake" if you will.  In fact, I'm starting another restoration that will be done in a similar way and will continue to learn every day, even after being involved with this great hobby for over 30 years.

Again, for you first time readers, I cleared my early departure with the Head Judge and several primary members of the NCRMC.  I suggest if this is as big of a problem as it seems it is with you that you contact the Head Judge and make sure that this is not ever allowed again.

I won't comment on this anymore.  Let it die.  If anyone has any constructive questions about the restoration, I'll be glad to answer them.  This is supposed to be fun and will continue being fun for me.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 05:12:15 PM by Brant »