Author Topic: Restoring a Shroud  (Read 3664 times)

Offline ruppstang

Restoring a Shroud
« on: December 08, 2012, 12:53:35 AM »
I found a real nice C8ZE-8146 - B  shroud it does have some black spray enamel on it from someones quick attempt to detail the engine bay. I am not sure what to use that would safely to remove the pant? Also the finish is a bit dull what would you use to restore the finish?
Thanks Marty

Offline Dudley

Re: Restoring a Shroud
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 10:03:28 AM »
I have removed paint from plastic parts on newer mustangs by wetting a rag with paint stripper and rubbing the paint off. Can't leave srtipper on plastic long because it will eat into the plastic. But I have had great success byapplying the stripper like cleaning windows. I have also poured small amounts directly on the painted surface to soften the paint, but again, don't leave it on for more than a few moments and then rub it off. I usually follow up with a water rince. Try this on the underside first or something else to experiment first.
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 01:00:20 AM »
I give the shrouds a lacquer bath . You might have to use some 0000# steel wool on the thicker paint. You may have to give a coat of clear to bring back some sheen if too dull.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 09:15:50 AM »
Thanks guys for the help. I was thinking of trying the oven cleaner but was not sure if it would soften the plastic.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 11:59:10 AM »
Thanks guys for the help. I was thinking of trying the oven cleaner but was not sure if it would soften the plastic.
Marty,I have never tried the oven cleaner on the shrouds and so don't know but would be hesitant for the same concerns . The lacquer is how Jeff Y. and myself have always done them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 12:05:16 PM »
The biggest problem is removing the old finish, and when you get to the point of getting a good finished shroud, try Eastwood Diamond Finish semi-gloss spray paint after some #ooo or #oooo steel wool to smooth out and remove any leftover crud. In any experiment, apply test chemicals to a small area that is not easily seen.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 07:33:46 PM »
It would be nice to have some cracked ones to play with

I for one would hesitate to add clear since it never lasts over time. Always seems to dull or peel off.

Would like to try Back to Black since its done a nice job on consoles and other plastic items.

Would think that oven cleaner might work (but would test it) since it does such a nice job on interior "plastics" but since you are looking at the finished surface you would need to keep it wet at all times or it might leave the finish with different tones and such if it dried at any point in an area

Just some random thoughts
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:16:43 AM »
It would be nice to have some cracked ones to play with

I for one would hesitate to add clear since it never lasts over time. Always seems to dull or peel off.

Would like to try Back to Black since its done a nice job on consoles and other plastic items.

Would think that oven cleaner might work (but would test it) since it does such a nice job on interior "plastics" but since you are looking at the finished surface you would need to keep it wet at all times or it might leave the finish with different tones and such if it dried at any point in an area

Just some random thoughts
Just thought i would mention since we are on the shroud subject that the black does not give the right look on a BB shroud which has the horse hair type appearance . The alternating light dark gray in the fibers are hard to duplicate.  Clear is the best alternative over nothing and fadded IMHO on those fan BB shrouds. The small block (which we are discussing) shrouds can be done with the black although I don't like to use paint if i can get away with it. Some finishs are too far gone to not use a black paint.Just some more thoughts and opinions for the discussion .

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 12:02:35 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up using a mild chemical stripper to remove the paint. The shroud material seems to be pretty chemical resitant but I would not leave the stripper on too long. I then rinsed with lacquered thinner, buffed with the 0000 steel wool and polished with Meguires vinyl and rubber protectant. I am happy with the results. My C7 small block shroud was made with the same materials as Bob described for the big blocks.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 12:06:08 PM by ruppstang »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 01:25:57 AM »
Looks pretty good there. Take enough pictures and happy enough with the results that we can turn it into an article ?

Merry Christmas ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »
I've used graffiti wipes to remove overspray before. Most recently on the cowl of an 05 Mustang with no problems.
Avoid the rubber trim along the edge though. Pick them up at a janitorial supply store.
There is dedicated paint stripper for plastic though which is safer.
The model railway guys use ScaleCoat brand.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20