Author Topic: 390 FE Hydraulic lifters & valve/rocker adjustment  (Read 5890 times)

Offline Angela

390 FE Hydraulic lifters & valve/rocker adjustment
« on: December 12, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »
Can anyone recommend some good reading material on how to properly adjust 390 FE Hydraulic lifters & valve/rockers? I am at my wits end with the 390 in my '67. It has hydraulic lifters and I've read everything I can and still have absolutely no clue how to adjust the rocker arms.

When standing next to the driver's side fender with the engine running, it sounds pretty decent. There is a slight noise that seems like perhaps an exhaust leak at the manifold to H-pipe donut, OR maybe rocker chatter. But the noise is very slight and difficult to hear.

BUT, if you run the engine and listen from inside the car with the door closed, the noise is greatly amplified and it sounds much more like rocker clatter on the driver's side than an exhaust leak. I've already had the valve covers off multiple times and had a couple different friends help me adjust them. The engine otherwise runs and sounds good. But this odd noise is driving me crazy and I really suspect it's the stupid rockers/pushrod chatter that I really never felt like I understood how to properly adjust.

I am looking for ways to (a) hone in on the exact source of the noise and (b) if I convince myself I really do have to tear the valve cover off again, how on earth can I learn what I am supposed to do to properly adjust them?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 390 FE Hydraulic lifters & valve/rocker adjustment
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »
The FE forum probably the best place to find something...you are not alone.

PS: Make sure you have that ONE special bolt  that holds the rocker shaft in the correct place so you are not starving the one side of the rocker shaft(s)(the one that has a narrower width to allow oil around past it). A common mistake on the FE engines.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 427Fastback

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 11:17:01 PM »
adjusting the rockers on a 67 390 (most years actually) is quite simple.....They are not adjustable.The 428's are not either.If you have a noise you probably have something worn out.The FE site is a good source of info..
I would pull the rockers and shafts off and have a look at the shafts where the rocker rides on them..As mentioned be sure to put the long bolt (there are 4 bolts per side) back where it belongs....Its fairly straight forward....Cory (FE forum member)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 01:23:51 AM »
adjusting the rockers on a 67 390 (most years actually) is quite simple.....They are not adjustable.The 428's are not either.If you have a noise you probably have something worn out.The FE site is a good source of info..
I would pull the rockers and shafts off and have a look at the shafts where the rocker rides on them..As mentioned be sure to put the long bolt (there are 4 bolts per side) back where it belongs....Its fairly straight forward....Cory (FE forum member)
+1 . Adjustable rockers are for the solid lifter version FE like on most 427's . Adjustable rockers can be used on a hydraulic cam but not desirable given the lower maintenance stock non adjustable hydraulic rockers. Most likely you have stock non adjustable rockers . I have a pair of steel valve covers that I cut the top out of so that I could run the engine without oil running over valve cover rail. You can use a stethoscope to isolate your noise. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 02:50:08 AM »
My car had a similar noise. It sounded like an exhaust leak or a lifter.  After extensive tests to try to diagnose the noise without going into the engine, and getting kind advise from this site and Cobrajet.org, it turned out to be a tiny external combustion leak at number 3.

One night as I was checking the internet for engine noise videos, there it was. Almost the exact noise. The video was of a leaking head gasket on a Harley Davidson!

An old used car trick to quiet noisy lifters was to put a quart of ATF in the oil and drive the hell out of the car on the freeway for a couple of hundred miles. My buddy used to do it at the car lot where he worked.  Most of the time the car came back to the lot purring LIKE A KITTEN.

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 03:20:04 AM »
You can use a stethoscope to isolate your noise.

If you don't have a stethoscope you can use a piece of wood (like a dowel or broom handle), or even a screw driver, hammer or other long solid object.
Place one end of the object against the side of your head near your ear, and touch the other end to various locations around your engine.
You will hear / feel a difference in the noise / vibration when you get close to whatever is causing the noise.

Like always, pay attention to what you are doing and be careful around rotating machinery.
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 03:29:26 PM »
Angela,
I have an exact procedure for the adjustment of adjustable rocker arms used with hydraulic tappets. It's in layman's terms too. I am running roller rockers with hydraulic tappets on my 427. I'd be glad to walk you through.  If you have non-adjustable rocker arms there is more than one length pushrod used, and that has caused many of issues with those unfamiliar with FE's.

-Keith