Author Topic: C6 Shift Linkage Adjustment  (Read 1508 times)

Offline snikliw87

C6 Shift Linkage Adjustment
« on: July 16, 2023, 10:25:50 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to line up a C6 transmission's shift linkage to the interior automatic floor shifter?  I tried following the manual which describes loosening the nut and placing the shifter in neutral and the transmission in neutral and tightening the nut- only problem is it doesn't line up when manually shifting into first gear.  I tried centering it on Drive but it seems to be "in between" on some of the gears still.
1967 Fastback GTA 390 - Built 10/1966 San Jose

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: C6 Shift Linkage Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 06:40:32 AM »
Do you have a console?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline snikliw87

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 10:13:13 PM »
No console.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 05:52:52 AM »
You either have something wrong with the shifter itself or the incorrect  lever in the transmission case.
I'll assume the bushings are tight and a visual inspection of the shifter assembly is good, leaving the more probable suspect of the incorrect lever in the transmission.

Pictures of these areas might help.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 11:15:22 AM »
You either have something wrong with the shifter itself or the incorrect  lever in the transmission case.
I'll assume the bushings are tight and a visual inspection of the shifter assembly is good, leaving the more probable suspect of the incorrect lever in the transmission.

Pictures of these areas might help.
Yes the shifter lever in a floor shift application on a C6 is different then a column shift . I would suspect this if the trans is newly acquired . The  FE C6 are overwhelmingly more common with the column shift lever then the floor shift by about 10 to 1   The lever has been reproed and is available. Find a picture on WWC or ebay and compare. Or it may be a wrong transmission to shifter arm. It is common place for a shifter arm to get misplaced when a car is apart. The C6 arm is unique and hard to find compared to the plentiful C4 arm. I would suspect this if you are putting the car together that has been apart for a while. Of course if the car has been together with all the same parts and worked then the problem now is more likely some kind of adjustment.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline snikliw87

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 06:52:02 PM »
The transmission shifted fine in every gear before our partial restoration so I am confident we have the correct rod for the C6 GTA.

What I am not confident on is if we have the correct washers/bushings for each side of the rod connecting to the shifter and the transmission arm.  There is a wobble in the rod on the shifter attachment side which is concerning.

See attached photos (taken from the ground looking up).