General Discussion > General Discussion

History of my Mustang

(1/3) > >>

Tiny:
Hi all, I'm aware that there are no records available for the 1966 Mustang such as the Marti Report etc, however is it possible to try and track down from a VIN number any history of the car such as previous owner etc.  I know here in Australia any vehicle can be searched via a VIN number and the previous registered owners details would be available.
I have searched some online sites in the USA but no luck.  In most cases the web sites state that there are not enough numbers in the VIN.  My car was manufactured in San Jose and had a DSO 72 which I'm pretty sure the car stayed in California all its life before being imported to Australia.  Would local Law Enforcement have the previous owner on their data base?

The VIN is, 6R07A121589

If anyone can assist it would be much appreciated.

thanks.

Mark

J_Speegle:
.....I have searched some online sites in the USA but no luck.  In most cases the web sites state that there are not enough numbers in the VIN.  My car was manufactured in San Jose and had a DSO 72 which I'm pretty sure the car stayed in California all its life before being imported to Australia.  Would local Law Enforcement have the previous owner on their data base?
[/quote]

If you were going to contact local law enforcement your would need to know what city or county the car was licensed in. But they would not have any record of the car unless it was involved in a crime or taken in a crime. DMV is the agency that would have tracked the ownership and licensing, The problem is that cars are regularly dropped out of the system after 5 or so years of no activity. Millions of cars in Calif so they do this to keep the data manageable. Even if they had records they would not be available to you due to laws that limit sharing any records due to privacy and stalker laws on the state books

Also California dealers are well know (unlike old family owned dealerships of the midwest and east) of finding no benefit of keeping old records or sales information

Unless you find a registration a business card or insurance policy information that has fallen between, under or behind something in your car I think its going to be a deadend

Some have chosen to hire private investigators but I have no idea if that would be successful

Any idea (maybe a license plate frame) what dealer it was sold through originally?

midlife:
The VIN you provided looks accurate for the number of digits/numbers.  What the website was trying to say is that this VIN doesn't conform to the more modern standardized VIN sequence.

Tiny:
Thanks guys, much appreciated for posting the reply

jwc66k:
Mark,
I can tell you this, your car's VIN is about 200 less than my 66 GT Fastback, so it's a good chance they were on the line at the same time.
Do you know when your car was imported to Australia, and by who? 
Also look for service stickers on the door frame.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version