Non-Mustang Ford & Mercury Models > Non-Mustang Ford Models 1965-73

BF Goodrich F78-15 spacesaver spare question

(1/3) > >>

HDAshmore:
I have a bf Goodrich f78-15 spacesaver spare that I would like to fond out what applications.  Definitely never used and Definitely Ford.  Double valve stem.  I'll post pics later this week.

Thanks Dan

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: HDAshmore on April 08, 2024, 09:41:25 PM ---I have a bf Goodrich f78-15 spacesaver spare that I would like to fond out what applications.  Definitely never used and Definitely Ford.  Double valve stem.  I'll post pics later this week.

Thanks Dan

--- End quote ---
Dan, the double valve stem is a later year evolution 72-74 ? maybe . It is not 1970.

hopey:
It is my understanding that the so called Double valve stems (fill valve plus relief valve) were installed as part of a BFG safety campaign in 1973+ timeframe. This followed several injuries and fatalities when incorrectly filling the collapsible spare using a garage air compressor as opposed to the canister, and was pushed through by the Federal authorities at the time. BFG filed a patent application in that year and was installing them 1974 onwards, including retrofitting them to existing space savers.

This safety recall was carried out across all makes equipped with BFG collapsible spares (AMX, Mopar etc) not just Ford. Here is a copy of it sent to an AMX owner.

To get back to the original question, you need to look at the wheel rim stamped date code and also any date codes on the tire. The DOT mandated identification number has the last 4 digits as a date code, and started being used in 1971. No DOT number means it is pre-71 and I have yet to find anyone who can decode those numbers.

HDAshmore:
I will research the replies given, thanks!!!!

really interested to know what model and year it goes to?  I dont think its mustang but ive been told word of mouth its a Thunderbird application????  Yeear and confirmation eludes me but I owe pics first.

thanks,
Dan

J_Speegle:
Interesting thread pattern. Sure does not look like the early years

Wonder if you could get a space saver in a T Bird or Lincoln. With such GIANT trucks can't see much of a need for one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version