Author Topic: 66 Running Change Survey Thread - Disc Brake Master Cylinder  (Read 4390 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 Running Change Survey Thread - Disc Brake Master Cylinder
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2021, 01:30:12 AM »
Which style of MC would be expected on a mid-March San Jose car with serial number range of 175xxx?

Style without the adapter fittings
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Richdowl

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2023, 10:31:42 AM »
Hello,
The previous owner replaced the original Bendix manual disc master cylinder with an OEM version on my 66 GT Coupe. I purchased an original that I'm planning on rebuilding. The finish for the original is natural cast Iron with a natural what appears to be a copper finish. My VIN is 6T07A101612 built on August 30th 1965 for the 66 model year at the Metuchen plant. The cylinder I purchased requires line adapters which I believe is correct for an early model 66. The question I have is do I keep the finish natural cast or should I paint it Semi-Gloss Black like the original Kelsey Hayes Proportioning Valve that's installed. The Distribution Block was also painted semi-gloss black but I removed the paint (should I have kept it semi-gloss black?). Does anyone know where I can get a copy of a diagram of the Bendix manual disc master cylinder?
Thanks
Rich D.
1966 GT Coupe A code 4 speed
Built August 30th Metuchen, NJ Factory
VIN# 6T07A101612

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2023, 11:04:58 AM »
Hello,
The previous owner replaced the original Bendix manual disc master cylinder with an OEM version on my 66 GT Coupe. I purchased an original that I'm planning on rebuilding. The finish for the original is natural cast Iron with a natural what appears to be a copper finish. My VIN is 6T07A101612 built on August 30th 1965 for the 66 model year at the Metuchen plant. The cylinder I purchased requires line adapters which I believe is correct for an early model 66. The question I have is do I keep the finish natural cast or should I paint it Semi-Gloss Black like the original Kelsey Hayes Proportioning Valve that's installed. The Distribution Block was also painted semi-gloss black but I removed the paint (should I have kept it semi-gloss black?). Does anyone know where I can get a copy of a diagram of the Bendix manual disc master cylinder?
Thanks
Rich D.
Only paint the master semi gloss black if you want it to look a typical assemblyline. The proportioning valve was painted semi gloss black on the GT350?s to identify them because they were adjusted for the 2 1/2 rear brake shoes.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Richdowl

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2023, 11:42:50 AM »
thanks for your quick reply :)
VIN# 6T07A101612

Offline Richdowl

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2023, 11:44:12 AM »
What about the cap? Should I also paint it semi-gloss black to match the Cylinder?
VIN# 6T07A101612

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2023, 02:58:06 PM »
What about the cap? Should I also paint it semi-gloss black to match the Cylinder?

The master cylinder with cap and retainers were painted as a unit semi-gloss black. There were caps/plugs installed at each brake line port leaving a shadow of bare steel ones the plugs were removed and the lines attached. Shadow was not as large as the whole machined surface there
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2023, 04:45:58 PM »
The master cylinder with cap and retainers were painted as a unit semi-gloss black. There were caps/plugs installed at each brake line port leaving a shadow of bare steel ones the plugs were removed and the lines attached. Shadow was not as large as the whole machined surface there
To add about the plug witness lines Jeff mentioned , the fitting hole had a unpainted machined metal witness line circle's approximately the size of a a dime. That is a easy guide in case you do not have access to original rubber plugs. to use to make the circle.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2023, 04:57:27 PM »
Hello,
The previous owner replaced the original Bendix manual disc master cylinder with an OEM version on my 66 GT Coupe. I purchased an original that I'm planning on rebuilding. The finish for the original is natural cast Iron with a natural what appears to be a copper finish. My VIN is 6T07A101612 built on August 30th 1965 for the 66 model year at the Metuchen plant. The cylinder I purchased requires line adapters which I believe is correct for an early model 66.The question I have is do I keep the finish natural cast or should I paint it Semi-Gloss Black like the original Kelsey Hayes Proportioning Valve that's installed. The Distribution Block was also painted semi-gloss black but I removed the paint (should I have kept it semi-gloss black?). Does anyone know where I can get a copy of a diagram of the Bendix manual disc master cylinder?
Thanks
Rich D.
After rereading the post I thought it best to clarify. The proportioning valve was semi gloss black on a GT350 for reasons I mentioned before. For those with regular Mustang the proportioning valve was typically painted a battleship gray. The distribution block was bare unpainted brass with a silver zinc attachment bracket.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 05:01:34 PM by Bob Gaines »