Author Topic: Rattle can Dry Graphite Spray Coating  (Read 1561 times)

Offline bullitt68

Re: Rattle can Dry Graphite Spray Coating
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2019, 02:57:06 AM »
Service replacement rear springs were often painted black with a part number stenciled on the top surface. Have pictures but away from them at the moment  Coil springs typically paint black also for service examples. While, as Bob described, heat treated items such as spindles, center links and so on were wax or oiled and look allot like assembly line items

Thanks Jeff. My leaf springs that came in my car were service replacement leafs as far as I can tell and they were painted black, but were most likely repainted during the last restoration and there was no sign of the stencil that I could find or part number stamp, but will be media blasting them tomorrow and will find out soon enough. So far I like the graphite coating and have been experimenting with some different procedures.  I have a bunch of parts waiting in the cue, spindles & various steering parts that require a natural finish. I will post the results when I am done. The current procedure call for the following steps.

Dry Media Blasting
followed by Vapour Blasting
Heat Seasoning
Dry Graphite coating application
Boesheild Application when graphite has dried
0000 Steel wool wipe down for final step and finished look

Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2019, 11:31:12 PM »
Not sure how long or how dark the final product will look using the graphite - most of us stopped using it back int he 90's but will be waiting to see how your efforts turn out as well as long term longevity

Right now I only use graphite between the exhaust manifolds and the heads as Ford did originally

Good luck - take pictures :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2019, 11:33:53 PM »
Not sure how long or how dark the final product will look using the graphite - most of us stopped using it back int he 90's but will be waiting to see how your efforts turn out as well as long term longevity

Right now I only use graphite between the exhaust manifolds and the heads as Ford did originally

Good luck - take pictures :)

Thanks Jeff will do
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968