Author Topic: FoMoCo Coil Label Stamp -  (Read 2007 times)

Offline jwc66k

FoMoCo Coil Label Stamp -
« on: February 08, 2023, 01:18:02 AM »
I thought this was somewhere on the forum, but a duplicate entry is better than none.
The coil stamp.
Ford stamped all their coils for a particular year, the same way. A general stamp with part number, voltage, the FOMOCO script label, etc; and a second stamp with the date code that changed weekly.
There was a change from FOMOCO to Autolite, but I don't know when.
Attached are the main stamp, a general view with the "type" style noted and a sample sheet of date codes (ones I needed to make) for code format purposes. The date code format should be: year (a single number); month (a single letter, capitalized, "A" thru "M", no letter "I"): week of the month (a single capital letter, "A" thru "E", with not to many "E's" used); shift (a single capitalized letter, "A", "B" or "C"). You will note those samples are all 64 thru 66 date codes.
Note: The sample sheet is NOT the correct type.
The main stamp was NOT oriented perfectly. It was placed at a slight angle upwards. In other word - don't make it "perfect". The date code stamps on most of the coils I've had were "smudged". They were in the date code "box" but after the first 600 to 1000 a day for a week, the stamp wore out.
You can take the first two attachments to most stamp making shops and get made what you need, a flat main stamp, and a separate date code stamp (you can sell the main stamp, let that buyer get is own date code stamp). I would estimate that $20 to $25 would be more than enough. I've seen this stamping done. The painted coil was carefully rolled on the stamp, allowed to dry (for handling) then the date code applied. Use white epoxy ink.
Jim
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 08:20:27 PM by J_Speegle »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Coil Label Stamp -
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 01:32:49 AM »
Jim, the stamp changed to AUTOLITE sometime in the later part of 66 production.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

Re: Coil Label Stamp -
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 01:58:19 PM »
- the stamp changed to AUTOLITE sometime in the later part of 66 production.
Thanks Bob. I found a picture confirming this, second week of May, 1966.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: FoMoCo Coil Label Stamp -
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 08:36:56 PM »
I thought this was somewhere on the forum, but a duplicate entry is better than none.

You posted it at least once before in a tread about AUTOLITE coil stamping

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=20168.15

Thanks Bob. I found a picture confirming this, second week of May, 1966.

Going to use that picture to update another thread on the change over from FoMoCo and AUTOLITE marked coils  ;)

Latest date I currently have on a FoMoCo marked coil is March 1966 So two month spread at this point

By the way there was another "odd" or rarely seen date pattern that included only numbers but have only seen that once or twice on an original
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline pknoerl59

Fomoco stamp and script for ignition coil on 1966 GT Metuchen build
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 12:29:27 PM »
Anyone have a stamp or decal for correct fomoco script on ignition coil? Build date April 1966

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
if you want correct, our focus here, then you want a stamp. decals were never used.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Also keep in mind that if properly stamped in the typical spot on the coil and if index the typical way in the coil bracket you typically only see a small portion of the lower part of the ink stamp. Some people stamp them so that they can be easily read. That was not the typical way they were stamped and mounted when used by Ford. When judging I only look for some hint of a silver edge of coil ink stamping peeking out from under the coil bracket for a pass because only a less then full stamping seen was most typical.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 05:44:27 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

Stamp layout attached. The coil sitting on my desk is stamped crooked. The bottom edge of the left end is 9/16 inch from the base of the coil, the bottom edge of the right end is 11/16 inch. It is also impossible to see the stamp on the coil as the bracket covered it completely. The stamp itself was mounted in a flat holder and the date was an insert in the stamp face. The coil was "rolled" over the stamp fixture. I don't know if by machine or by hand. This is not rocket science, it's mass production. For stamp pad ink, I use "1250 Aero" in silver. It's been a while, so this is from memory. I also don't believe there is a difference between assembly plants.
Jim 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Fomoco stamp and script for ignition coil on 1966 GT Metuchen build
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 12:13:59 AM »
Going to move this over with the other thread on the same subject. Found it using the search feature and the words "coil stamp"
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)