Author Topic: Power Disc Brake Distribution Valve & Proportioning Valve - 1968 San Jose  (Read 2218 times)

Offline bullitt68

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am having an issue with my Brake Distribution Valve. I was able to remove the piston in the proportioning valve, but the piston in the distribution valve is pretty stuck. I tried soaking it in penetrating oil for a couple of days and tried a punch, but it was not long enough. I also tried compressed air which worked great in the proportioning valve. I am going to see if I can find a longer punch. Has anyone been through this before? Hopefully when I get it out it will not be damaged.

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 05:54:29 PM by J_Speegle »
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Try using a grease gun. It's messy, but it will work: https://www.musclecarresearch.com/grease-gun-pressure

You can also heat the block with a propane torch to soften the seals before applying compressed air. Just block the open end with a shop rag or something similar. When it pops out, it will come out with a lot of force.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline bullitt68

Try using a grease gun. It's messy, but it will work: https://www.musclecarresearch.com/grease-gun-pressure

You can also heat the block with a propane torch to soften the seals before applying compressed air. Just block the open end with a shop rag or something similar. When it pops out, it will come out with a lot of force.

Hi Scott thanks I ordered a rebuild kit from you. I tried compressed air and it didn't work. I have not tried grease yet, but the piston is really jammed in there. I hope to use a long punch today. Hopefully that will work. the proportioning valve came out easy with air.
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator

+1 You will find this more effective over just using air but good to try that first. Others might soak it first to see if that will help the piston free up but the fitting and grease gun often works. Challenge it finding a place where the piston will not rocket off some where and be a challenge to find or damage it or something else in the process. You'll come up with a solution. All depends on hat you have around the shop :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

+1 You will find this more effective over just using air but good to try that first. Others might soak it first to see if that will help the piston free up but the fitting and grease gun often works. Challenge it finding a place where the piston will not rocket off some where and be a challenge to find or damage it or something else in the process. You'll come up with a solution. All depends on hat you have around the shop :)

Unfortunately compressed air did not work like it did on the proportioning valve. It seems to be really seized in there. However it does move with a punch.
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Unfortunately compressed air did not work like it did on the proportioning valve. It seems to be really seized in there. However it does move with a punch.

Guessing that you have soaked it for a day or so in an oil or brake fluid.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

Guessing that you have soaked it for a day or so in an oil or brake fluid.

Yes been soaking for a few days in 3-in-one oil. I could try brake fluid, buts suspect that there is corrosion inside holding it stuck. The crazy thing is that I had it all installed but decided to pull it to do some other work, then investigated further. Glad I did other wise it would not be functioning. Almost thought of getting a repop! Hopefully I can get this one working. If not I will try to find another used one and rebuild it. If that fails I'll cave and get a new one!
Mike

Offline ruppstang

As mentioned before,heat it with a propane torch till the Orings start to smoke then hit it on a piece of wood the direction you want it to come out. I bet you will have it out in 20 minutes.

Offline bullitt68

Ok thanks. I will try it again. I heated it and tried it, but perhaps I did not heat it up enough. It did start to smoke, but that may have just been the oil burning off.
Mike

Offline bullitt68

Well good news I got the piston out with heat. Perhaps if I had heated it more yesterday it would have come out. However the bad news is the piston is bent. So I guess I need to get a new/replacement unit. Unless someone has an extra one kicking around they would be willing to part with.

Mike

Offline bullitt68

Well more bad news. Well it turns out that I bent the distribution block when I swaged the bracket back on the valve. Its toast. Need to find a replacement. If anyone has one please let me know.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 08:20:28 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
There is a great you tube video on how to rebuild one.  The valve is from a 69 cougar and it is exactly like the 69 disc brake one.  It was very helpful.  I think they use a drywall screw to remove the piston.